silly wiper problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My infiniti has this really odd problem, I'm leaning on replacing the arm but haven't quoted the part yet.

So its an on going issue for the last 2 years. I've gone thru about 5 sets of wipers (OEM wiper, cheap ANCO, high end Bosch, Rain-X and a random). I get them in a pairs, the pass side always wipes clean, the driver side wiper always stinks. The wipe up is very clean but the wipe back down to the resting spot is where my problem is. It seems like its skipping a big chunk in the middle or just smears everything. When it rains, i almost prefer to not use my wipers.

I've tried to bend it a little one way or the other and nothing. Only thing i can think of is i have a non-oem front windshield, i had a crack and got it replaced about 4 years ago. I was thinking of trying to apply some coating on it but i'm at a lost now.

What baffles me the most is the when it wipes upward its crystal clean. If i can stop it there i would love it.

If you watch the wiper as it goes up/down do you notice that in the direction it's not wiping properly that the wiper isn't making contact with the windshield at any point or it's wiggling as it goes back down anywhere on the wiper?

My journey would leave streaks most of the time in bad weather and it turned out that the spring in the arm wasn't tensioned enough. I lifted the wiper off the windshield, held it at the spring part and then bent the arm forward a little bit more. Not much just say 1/2" and it seemed to solve the problem. I of course tried new wiper blades first.

Just a thought that might help.

Last edited:
On the other hand, too much pressure can prevent the edge of the blade from flipping over like it should when it reverses direction, and you get poor results in one direction.

Also check that the arm is not twisted. The blade should be perpendicular to the glass.

Originally Posted by mk378
On the other hand, too much pressure can prevent the edge of the blade from flipping over like it should when it reverses direction, and you get poor results in one direction.

Also check that the arm is not twisted. The blade should be perpendicular to the glass.

hey, I like One Direction!

I don't have that problem with my G37. However, I did with my Audi, on the driver's side, too, really fun.
wink.gif
Instead of beam blades, I used the conventional style of wiper and found it to eliminate that problem. It's another thing to think about in addition to the other suggestions here.

Originally Posted by Garak
I don't have that problem with my G37. However, I did with my Audi, on the driver's side, too, really fun.
wink.gif
Instead of beam blades, I used the conventional style of wiper and found it to eliminate that problem. It's another thing to think about in addition to the other suggestions here.

That was my first thought, i've use both style blades. Like i've said, i've use a lot of different blades. Actually used Costco's goodyear blades and returned them the following week too...... felt very silly for that but lifetime warranty/exchanges.

Well, was worth a shot. You had mentioned trying many blades, but I wasn't sure if you switched actual types. Other than trying the two different types, checking the geometry of the arm is about all I can think of, along with the spring strength. I can't see G35 OEM glass and G35 replacement glass being so different on their own to cause you this nightmare. And believe me, it would be driving me as nuts, too.

I tried replacing an arm once, and regretted it, since the "finish" on the aftermarket arms wasn't as durable as the finish on 30 year old OEM arms, even.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back