Sig Sauer announced for 6.8mm Next Gen Weapons contract

Sig beat out Textron and GD-OTS for the next gen weapons using 6.8mm calibers. Press release video says Sig will supply everything first for the first couple of years, and production capability will ramp at Lake City AAP in a "new" building (well more like a currently unused building)...

First, pistols, now carbine and light machine guns.

Law enforcement goes from .40SW to 9mm because of “modern ammo” and the military goes larger. Will new gun sales of 5.56 years from now go the way of the Dodo bird like .40SW has?
Gun sales, no. Ammo sales, good chance.

One of the stated reasons for going to 6.8 mm is the preponderance of body armor in modern armies, and the need for a larger round to penetrate.
I'm not sure how this will impact the civilian market, unless folks are looking to hold off well equipped gangs or SWAT teams. Or they are like me, and prefer to shoot a larger round.
I'm not sure I buy the "modern ammo" argument for the transition from .40 S&W to 9mm. All pistol rounds underperform when compared to rifle rounds. Lower impact pistol rounds underperform more. I think the decision to go to 9mm was because of a combination of cost (both the ammo and replacement handguns - .40s wearing out at a much faster rate), and the increased number of lower strength recruits that are not able to shoot the higher impact round well enough to qualify.

5.56 will be around forever. Especially in higher than 55 grain bullet weights.
6.8 was the future promise years ago and never went.. the 300 blackout is also excellent for us civilians and the troops..
Military changes go beyond slowly. Same with law enforcement.

.40 was a huge compromise from 10 mm that the fbi wanted after the miami shootout that went badly. But the fbi and other folks had trouble shooting it. So . 40 was a good balance.
Tiny carry guns seemed to make .40 to much for some folks and bullet tech made 9mm. / acceptable....
Now folks are saying 40 is way too powerful to control and now guns are smaller again...

I love 10mm and 357 sig and find 45acp and .40 great defensive rounds in hornady critical duty.

Same will cycle with rifle and carbine cal ammo. New soldiers will be unable to carry enough ammo and the swing will likely lead towards 5.56 and maybe smaller again..

You have to carry less bigger ammo and train to shoot only when you have a good shot. Or stay light and shoot excess ammo into nothing to help keep peoples heads down..

Back