Showing off my Crown Vic

The CVPI in my signature was purchased 4 years ago for all of $600 from a kid who had no idea how to fix the noisy differential.

I put in a salvage yard 3.27 limited slip and undid his “upgrades”.

It sits most of the time, but I’m reviving it for use this week. Someone needs a car and is willing to buy this one if the price is right. It should be. The car is solid, and I discovered while working on it that the engine is a Ford replacement. Not known when that was put in, but the car is an excellent runner with no issues… definitely not an oil burner given the 207k it has.

It‘s going to be gone soon I hope. I don’t need this one. 😎

What I have to ask, is do these police departments really need full size trucks and SUVs? Sure some of them, but what good does one do in the city that a Charger cannot do? I remember back in the mid to late 2000's police departments where I lived were switching to Chevy Impalas left and right when gas was getting very close to $4.00 a gallon. I feel like my tax dollars would be better spent on something more economical (and likely faster in pursuit) than a loaded-to-the-gills Explorer or Tahoe. That's all I see around here is SUVs. If large sedans worked as well as they did back in the day, what has changed, other than higher taxes and perhaps better economic conditions?
In my county, yes, the trucks are needed. There's more dirt roads than pavement. Most of the dirt roads aren't maintained as well as needed, so they get really bad in wet weather.

Reactions: RAR
The CVPI in my signature was purchased 4 years ago for all of $600 from a kid who had no idea how to fix the noisy differential.

I put in a salvage yard 3.27 limited slip and undid his “upgrades”.

It sits most of the time, but I’m reviving it for use this week. Someone needs a car and is willing to buy this one if the price is right. It should be. The car is solid, and I discovered while working on it that the engine is a Ford replacement. Not known when that was put in, but the car is an excellent runner with no issues… definitely not an oil burner given the 207k it has.

It‘s going to be gone soon I hope. I don’t need this one. 😎

If it's an actual cop car that saw service, it's probably a remanufactured transmission too.

If it's an actual cop car that saw service, it's probably a remanufactured transmission too.
Even better! 😄

Yes, it was in service in Bloomington MN or somewhere near there. The car is mechanically sound. I wouldn’t worry about using it. I’d hang onto it, but no one in my immediate family needs it.

Again, someone is going to get a solid ride. 👌

In my county, yes, the trucks are needed. There's more dirt roads than pavement. Most of the dirt roads aren't maintained as well as needed, so they get really bad in wet weather.
Same up here.

Northern Minnesota where it’s heavy snow that’s going to start melting next week (if the weather forecast is to be believed), combined with many dirt and gravel roads. A mess.

I love my Charger, but it will sit if my road is mud. I’ll put the new Wrangler to use then. 😎

Our county sheriff uses Explorers, but has a number of F150s outfitted for police work, fully marked. They are often seen pulling snowmobiles in Winter and boats in the Summer. Enforcement of the law occurs on many motorized machines up here. 🙂

Seems like these also had additional bracing around the hood box to support the optional pushbars, when purchased as a PI. I’ve wondered if that compromised the crumple zone if one rear-ends another vehicle with it.

At 62 years of age (2019) I finally landed a job that entitled me to a law enforcement discount. Unfortunately by then all the Mustang and Camaro pursuit models were long gone.

View attachment 91353
Here's my 2008 Crown Vic Police Interceptor. It's the same car I posted "under the valve cover" pictures of. I originally bought it from my dad for $2000 last April to use as a backup. My other 2 vehicles were my daily driver 2019 F150 and my wife's daily driver 2015 F150. Over the first 6 months I began to drive the Crown Vic more and more.

It got to a point where I began to wonder why I had 2019 F150, so I sold the F150 last week. I ended up getting 6k more than my "out the door" price was new in 2019.

Now the Crown Vic is my daily driver, until I find a car I'm willing to pay cash for. Only problem...none I've looked at have been as good as this Crown Vic. I've always liked Crown Vics, but a majority have been worn out and hobbled together. Not this one. Everything works as it should, and it looks good too!
They handle good right?

At 62 years of age (2019) I finally landed a job that entitled me to a law enforcement discount. Unfortunately by then all the Mustang and Camaro pursuit models were long gone.
Speaking or dreaming of those sweet Police pursuit vehicles..... these were wild just like some real hot Mopars some departments chose to use in the 70s-early 80s before most got choked and de-tuned to little more than anti-smog machines that could not get out of their own way. As a teen everytime we passed thru Alabama, Dad and I scanned the roads to hopefully spot some of them. We did see a few when they were first put in service along the new I-10 interstates. The main ones we spotted were mostly Mopars and Fords though like these along with that JavelinAMX401cui

Attachments

• 144d4103be9f7ccee51e9f846ce0ce96--alabama-law-amc-javelin.jpg
    144d4103be9f7ccee51e9f846ce0ce96--alabama-law-amc-javelin.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1970_plymouth_fury_police_car-1a.jpg
    1970_plymouth_fury_police_car-1a.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCN9212-vi.jpg
    DSCN9212-vi.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 86809673_1289678554556955_6316529142900719616_o.jpg
    86809673_1289678554556955_6316529142900719616_o.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 7f824ea06ff4b4df4b35ea3a7267fe01.jpg
    7f824ea06ff4b4df4b35ea3a7267fe01.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
They handle good right?

I don't remember off the top of my head what year they switched to rack and pinion? Maybe 2003? But yeah I've found the rack-and-pinion Panthers handle great. For such a heavy car they are confident and controllable. The gearbox ones tend to wander too much for my taste.

10 years ago yes. Anyone who drives these in cop car form are just posers now.
Not posers. Some people cannot afford different. They sell them at auctions where I used to live ,and they are very popular with the inner city/low income/projects. They put them to work as-is + some 24's, typically, and later on you will get a candy paint job featuring M&M's or SNICKERS or similar.
1701308715982.jpg

I don't remember off the top of my head what year they switched to rack and pinion? Maybe 2003? But yeah I've found the rack-and-pinion Panthers handle great. For such a heavy car they are confident and controllable. The gearbox ones tend to wander too much for my taste.
Yes, and they get loose and floppy over time, too, with a fair bit of slack, aside from the wandering.

Back