Shovelhead first oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCI

The HD Service Manual for Shovelheads (the Big Twin produced 1966 to 1984) specifies an initial oil change at 500 miles and then every 2,000 miles thereafter. On the basis of experience, I have always started out a rebuilt motor with fresh oil, an oil change at about 50 miles, then again at 500 miles, and then according to ambient temp and use. On a cool day like today (mid-forties to low fifties) the oil temp was right at 200F and the head temp hung right around 345F to 350 F. HD published something many years ago that said every twenty degree increase in temp cut the life of multi-vis oil in half. So if I'm seeing oil temps of 220 I'm not too worried about a 2,000 mile interval, at 240 we're probably looking at sooner.

Truth be told most of these motors leak so much the additives are being continually refreshed anyhow.

I've built more of these motors than I can remember, I think somewhere along the line I realized just by observation that the oil was not doing real well with the initial startup. The new timing gears and new rings on cast iron cylinder walls seemed to eat the good stuff out of the oil rather quickly. You can hear it and feel it in the motor.

So today I ran a new one about 57 miles on the Castrol 20w-50 that is supposed to be special for air-cooled V-twin motorcycles. Never used it before, and will never use it again.

This was stock stroke, new wristpin bushings, Keith Black pistons and rings at 0.0025" on an appropriately flex-honed cast iron cylinder wall (fitted to size with Sunnen stones, old nomenclature might have been AN-300, not sure), Kibblewhite valves in cast iron intake and phosphor bronze exhaust guides, all sealed, and new timing gears, Andrews BH cam and Jim's Machine pinon gear, lash fitted perfectly. Crank pin, rod big end rollers, and right main rollers new, fitted at the middle of spec or slightly tighter, all within 0.0002" of the target.

Started the bike and shut it off in a few seconds, let the ring edges cool. Started it again, run for 30 seconds and off to cool. Then a minute or two and off. Then a one-mile ride and off, cool. The rings seated in the first hundred yards, no mistaking it. Cool overnight, careful warm up, and the 57 mile break-in ride today. Speed varied, two short hops of about a mile or two with a shutdown, easy road miles generally hanging around 45-50 mph, some backing down from 55, plenty of variance in rpm and a lot of throttle activity oriented toward good oil scavenging.

By the time I got back, the degradation of the oil was unmistakable. The motor did not sound like what it should when the lubrication is right. I have no idea what happened to this oil, but it looked like [censored] when I drained it out. I'm sure someone here will warn me about the necessity of oil analysis. I understand, I used to run a small fleet, we sent out samples on everything that had anything to do with our class 7 and class 8 trucks. Not happening on the motorcycles, at least not today.

So I drained out the 20w-50 Castrol, replaced it with 20w-50 Rev-Tech, and the motor sounds great. Seriously, you could not miss the difference.

Now I know there are a lot of genuine experts here, and I am most grateful for the wisdom shared here. Mostly I just read and learn. But the reason for my question today is this; I would have thought that any of the premium motorcycle oils today would be enormously better than anything that was available 35 years ago. But that's not what I saw today.

This oil just simply turned to [censored]. What happened?

Next question: S&S Cycle strongly recommends Mobil 1 Synthetic 20w-50 in their performance motors. I've tried it on a couple of motors, but it is too soon to tell how it is really holding up. What do you think about that oil?

Thanks to all in advance.

[edited to correct Rev-Tech viscosity]

Last edited:
Did you wash the parts before you reassembled the motor? I'm taking for granted there's a oil filter on the motor to catch most of the grit and crumbs that might be floating around in there. Did you turn the motor over beforehand, to get the oil circulated before you fired it up? A dry start will put lots of specs in the oil. I'm not a fan of Castrol oils, but I don't believe it would degrade that fast. The motor might just be tight and need more time to loosen up and break in.,,,

Fair questions, I suppose.

We all wish that the kitchens in restaurants were as clean as the inside of my motors at build.

Yes, everything gets thoroughly cleaned according to best practices, everything is pre-lubed at assembly, the entire oiling system is pressurized on the bench, flow to all passages checked, oil pump relief valve is checked, and then after installation the motor is not started until the oil pressure is up.

They use a drop-in pleated paper filter nowadays, a vast improvement over the old dog-hair filters of the '60s and early '70s. They work OK for anything made in Taiwan, I'd say they catch the big chunks.

"I'm not a fan of Castrol oils, but I don't believe it would degrade that fast."

My point exactly -- we agree. I've never seen anything like this.

"The motor might just be tight and need more time to loosen up and break in.,,, "

Again, you're right, of course. They all do. That's the point of the painstaking break-in procedure I described. These things have a 3-31/32" stroke, the piston speed and the ring pressure on the cross-hatched cast iron is an engineering problem in itself.

I always break 'em in this way, my motors tend to hold up really well.

I've just never seen oil do this.

[edited to correct "31/32"]

Last edited:
Castrol stuff is really "meh", and probably would not be my pick for a vintage motor. Personally I think I would have used Mobil 1 15w50 oil in the shovelhead for the short break in OCI runs as you can get big 5 quart jugs of it at wal mart. It has about the same level of ZDDP as the Castrol stuff if I recall.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
IMO you should be running straight 60 in that shovelhead. At least a straight 50.

In New Mexico.....60w.....I would have used Delo or Rotella 15w40 for the first 50 miles then switched to a 60w. Probably Brad Penn.

True, and many folks don't realize that. Part of NM is in the same USDA climate zone as Western Massachusetts.

In this case, it was in the mid to high 40s during the test ride. 20w-50 is well within the parameters described by HD at that temp.

I run straight-weight oil on older motors once they start getting seriously loose, otherwise I don't see the benefit, neither does H-D or S&S. If anyone here has a sound technical basis to think otherwise I'd be most interested.

As a side note, aircraft oil does not work at all well in old Harley motors, you will lose the cam lobes and tappet rollers very quickly, Delo straight 50w (for diesels) works surprisingly well even in hot weather, and any of the straight-weight racing oils sem to hold up OK for about a thousand miles and then you can hear the change.

I'm curious about Rev-Tech oil, it seems to be pretty good stuff. No idea who makes it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back