Should I take a stab at doing my water pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go for it!
Buy quality tools if you don't have them. You just might use them for life.
Do your research; I never had the luxury of Youtube. It's your friend.
Take your time and enjoy the ride!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jayjr1105
Originally Posted by vavavroom
They quoted you $200? That means it can't be much more than 1 hour labor. Especially since you won't have to deal with removing and applying sealant, DIY.

Even with me providing pump, gaskets, and new belt?

I obviously don't know hourly shop rates in your area but here it's at least $180 an hour. Also consider potential warranty issues regarding the repair if you don't let the repair shop source the parts. You have the parts, it's not a huge or difficult job, I still say do it yourself.

Do it, it should be a easy job on that engine. Your guy probably quoted aftermarket pump, you can get the OEM one and rest easy at night.

So this is why I trust and really like my local shop. I had the car in for 4 new tires and I asked him to check on what I thought was a slight coolant seepage around the water pump. Had they confirmed it, I had the pump, belt, seals, and coolant in the front seat for them to do. They called me back and said it's not the water pump but a slight oil seepage from the Timing Cover seal and that it's not nearly bad enough to worry about.

So, I guess I'll hold onto the pump and belt and change it around 100K on my own.

Originally Posted by emmett442

laugh.gif

This isn't 1970...no one uses paper gaskets on a water pump, nowadays!

As long as the surface isn't corroded, usually the gasket comes right off and a simple wipe down of the surface cleans it up![/quote]

Most water pump changes are on older cars. Ford used them on some models up to at least 2007. Now get back to the 70's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back