Should I Change My Thermostat and Water Pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My '96 windstar still had the factory original water pump when I sold it last year with over 229K miles on it.
I OVER maintained it, as, like you, I don't like having problems that I can avoid by routine maintenance.
So I would do as you have been advised.....change it if it starts to leak from the pump weap hole.
If it starts to leak there, it will not last long as coolant in the pump bearings (they are sealed from the coolant) will lead to failure in short order.
Replacement water pumps are hit or miss.....a genuine Motorcraft water pump will most likely be a rebuilt pump.
For this reason....and that water pumps do not normally fail as often, like they did in years past.....I prefered to stick with the original unless I had reason to change it.

I would keep up on coolant changes.
I would also go ahead and replace the thermostat using a genuine Motorcraft brand.
Give the hoses a VERY careful inspection.
Make sure the clamps are secure.....but don't overtighten any that are screw clamps (many clamps are the spring type) to avoid an expensive cracked or broken plastic part.
I would recommend that you use the coolant that is specified for your vehicle.
Many FORDs in that time period specified Motorcraft GOLD coolant, which is a G-05 coolant.
You can use Motorcraft GOLD or Zerex G-05 coolant.

If it came with Green coolant....then you can search to find green....it is out there, but you have to look for it....Motorcraft and Zerex brands have it.
A look at the Motorcraft website gives me E2FZ 19549-AA for your 2000 FORD Mustang.....I think that may be traditional green.
They list "VC-5" as replacing the old part number on the Motorcraft website.

As for the small hole in the thermostat body....make sure to orient the hole as specified in your repair information.
It will most likely state to have the hole at the top, but I don't want to make a blanket statement about that.

Morris, no problem regarding the thermostat advice. Though don't add MMO to the rad. Just flush out as it's schedule requires.

If it's not broke, don't fix it.

I've never had a replacement thermostat last as long as the original. In fact, most failed in an amazingly short amount of time(even OE replacements). Waterpumps are also hit-and-miss as already stated.

Replace the coolant though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back