Should I change atf on 2003 vw passat

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it were maybe a 2013 you could consider it.

However at 15 years a flea sneezing the wrong way could damage the auto transmission. I would not even suggest it to friend as your advice may lead to unrelated failure and you still potentially on the hook in their mind.

Like others have said, don't mess with it. Depending on what transmission is on the vehicle you need 2 special tools to refill the trans and a VAG specific scan tool, which reads the transmission temp which needs to be at a certain temp in order to make sure that the trans is correctly filled. I mistakenly thought it would be an easy drain and fill on the wife's car, boy was I wrong. The VAG 6262-2 fill tool is 12 or 13 bucks plus the cost of the filter and gasket. That's not even counting the ATF (you cannot use Valvoline HM). The kit from Blauparts is 136 bucks plus shipping plus the cost of a VAG specific scan tool (50-300 bucks). So yea stay away from any "surprise" ATF changes, VW are a completely different animal than any other transmission. If you want to do some thing cool for him, give the car a super detail inside and out.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by maxdustington
Change it and don't say anything about it. Real altruism, and he will be none the wiser if anything goes wrong!

In other words lie by omission to your pastor. Really?

Change the oil, detail it, mention when he gets back the ATF fluid could stand to be changed and explain the change/don't change schools of thought. If he wants it done you could offer your help. Decide now what you'd do if the tranny would start to act up.

Or offer to have it done by the specialty shop.
The lord works in mysterious ways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back