Should Coolant on MB E300 2018 be changed?

I thought your post meant that the coolant should be changed. Apparently not.
Yes I did. Topping up the inhibitor chemistries is never a bad idea.

Well over a million miles and plenty of 40yo vehicles in my MB stable and expertise would indicate something is right.

So, do any of your models contain the additive block in the reservoir tank? Have you changed either of those items as the Forum post I quoted suggested?

Of course I don't suppose that was a thing on the 40 y/o vehicles.

So, do any of your models contain the additive block in the reservoir tank? Have you changed either of those items as the Forum post I quoted suggested?

Of course I don't suppose that was a thing on the 40 y/o vehicles.

Good question.

FSM says since 7/92

IMG_5501.jpeg

So potentially not besides the two 1993 cars I’ve owned. I do think my one 1991 car has a coolant tank replacement at some point maybe.

The cars were all specified for G-05 back when. No idea what they were thinking going to G-48 a number of years back given that it has 2-EHA. I don’t think the latest G-40 has it. I run G-48 in my BMW. No issues after a decade and a few years.

Silicate top up is ok, but I’d much rather change the entire inhibitor chemistry from time to time, even ideally ahead of schedule…

Still leaves more questions than answers for me. Silica/silicate technology has been outdated since the introduction of aluminum/cast iron mixed blocks as well as all aluminum blocks and heads,, hence the introduction of Dexcool by GM. My 1999 STS had Dexcool from the factory.
Anyway, I'd really like to know, as would the original poster, whether the coolant needs to be changed on a 2018 and newer E class vehicle. Reports of additive "bars" dissolving in expansion tanks using the current coolant chemistry, and the fact that nowhere in the service manual is a coolant change required, only adds to the mystery.
I'd really like to know the truth, but Mercedes would much rather get you in for service than share that info.

Back