Should Coolant on MB E300 2018 be changed?

Still running original with 60K and Six years on it now. Should it be changed and if so, any idea what a dealer charges?

You could buy an antifreeze tester and confirm for yourself that your antifreeze needs to be changed (https://www.autoguide.com/best-antifreeze-testers), but after 6 years I'm guessing it's due to be changed. Having your own tester would be handy so you can monitor your antifreeze, on you own, from time to time.

I have no idea what the dealer would change, but if it were my car, I'd let them or some other qualified shop that works on Mercedes change it. You want to make sure it's done correctly so you don't have any overheating issues and all of the other problems that overheating can create (i.e., blown head gasket, etc.).

Just my .02

Ed

Generally speaking, the newer coolants used today are incredibly good. They are 5 year, 150,000 mile products.

The G40 coolant in your Mercedes-Benz is probably still in good condition but technically it's due for a change according to Glysantin.

My experience with this coolant in Volkswagen applications has convinced me personally to go 10 years (mileage independent) but that is only my experience. If your vehicle were mine I'd only top-off as needed for a few more years and do the water pump and coolant at the 10 year mark.

Change it. 2018 was the year some German car manufacturers switch from every 2 years to every 5 years coolant.

I would change it. I have a 2014 Corvette and I changed it last summer at 22,500 miles. The anti freeze came out looking like new and I have that feeling of keeping my car maintained well. You don't want to change a heater core from lack of anti-freeze protection or lack of corrosion ability.

I have been going by this for my 2018, and nowhere does it mention a coolant change. It might be more important to do the diff, and the transfer case if it's a 4matic.
Prepaid1.jpg

Here is a maintenance guide from 2010 m/y, it goes out to 160,000 miles and beyond. I just looked it over and DO see coolant changes for specific models and certain engines. It does not state a coolant change for an E Class anywhere! I'm as surprised as you, but it just says check.
To be on the safe side, I MIGHT do a drain and refill at some point, but only if it has a coolant drain on the radiator. I'm not pulling hoses on mine. (BTW, I'm almost ready to hit 20,000 miles)

I have been going by this for my 2018, and nowhere does it mention a coolant change. It might be more important to do the diff, and the transfer case if it's a 4matic.
View attachment 210162

The MB maintenance schedule for my '14 E350 calls to replace coolant at 150k miles / 15 years. Could it be that you need to look at the next page of your maintenance schedule, to see where coolant replacement is called out?

The MB maintenance schedule for my '14 E350 calls to replace coolant at 150k miles / 15 years. Could it be that you need to look at the next page of your maintenance schedule, to see where coolant replacement is called out?
There is no other page.

I also ran across a post in an MB Blog that said that there is an "additive pack" in the coolant reservoir of E class sedans ( and other models no doubt) after a certain year.
It went on to say that if you change coolant, you need to replace the reservoir also.
NOW, I know that sounds like BS, but if someone would like to verify that as fact, I would be most appreciative.

So if a tester says it's good...no need to change it?
Not exactly. There is such a thing as additive depletion, which ultimately determines the effectiveness of the coolant to do its job, namely, prevent corrosion. Now if that issue were to be addressed somehow, we're into a whole different scenario.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Not exactly. There is such a thing as additive depletion, which ultimately determines the effectiveness of the coolant to do its job, namely, prevent corrosion. Now if that issue were to be addressed somehow, we're into a whole different scenario.

Inquiring minds want to know.
There are test strips that show if the corrosion add pack is still good. But they are a little expensive. For the average car, it is less expensive to just replace the coolant per the maintenance schedule.

The test strips are used to check coolant on big trucks and such, because the cost of a coolant flush and fill is significantly more expensive. It is common to not replace the coolant in big rigs based upon mileage or time, but rather when the test strips indicate that the add pack is getting depleted. Some coolant formulations use a coolant filter that has a booster of corrosion inhibitors, to help the coolant last even longer.

I also ran across a post in an MB Blog that said that there is an "additive pack" in the coolant reservoir of E class sedans ( and other models no doubt) after a certain year.
It went on to say that if you change coolant, you need to replace the reservoir also.
NOW, I know that sounds like BS, but if someone would like to verify that as fact, I would be most appreciative.
That's correct. My 15 ML has a semi-solid bar of additive that slowly dissolves over time to get that length of service. Probably why they say to replace the resevoir.

Really what?

I have a fleet of old MB vehicles that have mostly original cooling systems and hoses. The coolant chemistries and maintenance processes seem to have passed the test of time.
I thought your post meant that the coolant should be changed. Apparently not.

Back