Short trips and long drain intervals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
If you're gonna do short trips, the synthetic will handle it better. This was proven in the SAE paper which described the Aunt Minnie test, where a car was driven for 5 years doing very short trips and all on the same batch of oil! In the beginning of the test it was 3 mile trips but then it was even less than this in the last half. I believe the oil went 7000 miles and they tore the engine down and found no significant wear.

[ November 10, 2002, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Also, why not take a longer route to work? I know I would if it were me. Also, do you not take the car out on longer trips on the weekends? I often go far out of my way on the weekends to drive to further places just to drive aimlessly around.
smile.gif

Your saying they went 5 years and never changed the oil? Or they changed it every 7,000 miles? I guess I'm going to go with Mobil 1 10w-30 next time and change it every 5,000 miles with the mobil 1 filter. Is the Mobil 1 5w-30 really that bad, or any 5w-30 for that matter, especially with long drain intervals? Would 0w-30 be even worse as far as shear stability over long intervals?

All the Mobil 1 xW-30 oils meet the extended drain and shear test in ACEA A5-02: "A5--Stable, stay-in-grade oil intended for use at extended drain intervals in high performance gasoline engines designed to be capable of using low friction, low viscosity oils with a HT/HS of 2.9 to 3.5 mPa.s. These oils may be unsuitable for use in some engines."
http://www.acea.be/ACEA/20020618PublicationsOilSequences.pdf
https://dallnd6.dal.mobil.com/GIS/M...61638dff7d0453b085256b8400618b40?OpenDocument

Mobil 1 0W-40 and 15W-50 meet a tougher shear spec, ACEA A3-02.

These are all excellent oils--it's hard to find better.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:
Your saying they went 5 years and never changed the oil? Or they changed it every 7,000 miles? I guess I'm going to go with Mobil 1 10w-30 next time and change it every 5,000 miles with the mobil 1 filter. Is the Mobil 1 5w-30 really that bad, or any 5w-30 for that matter, especially with long drain intervals? Would 0w-30 be even worse as far as shear stability over long intervals?

Actually, I believe it was 6 years and they accumulated about 7K miles in that time. Because of the amount of sample it almost came to a changeout, but because there were samples of old and new oil the effect was not nearly as good as a complete changeout. The engine was judged to be in excellent condition even though the irons were like(I believe) 400 ppm.
shocked.gif

I have the same problem. Four miles to the job site, arctic temps. in the winter. Vehicles sit and idle 15 minutes warming to and from work. I have been using Mobil1 since '92 changing every three months (less than 3,000 miles).

Is this a recipe for disaster, especially in winter? I posted about 3 weeks ago and took some advice and switched to 5w-30 penzoil dino for winter. I plan on changing it in about 3,000 miles and want to switch back to Mobil 1 and try the supersyn out. I want to try out 4-5,000 mile drain intervals as well with their 10w-30 instead of 5w-30 dino (many people say 10w-30 mobil1 flows better than 5w-30 dino?). However, I work about 3 miles from my home, so Monday through Friday my car gets to temp for about 10 seconds! Any suggestions? I also indicated in an earlier post about the fact that I had a cooler temp thermostat. On many people's advice, I went back to the stock 195 degree stat vs. the 180, and my car runs a hell of a lot better! All this cooler temp thermostat hype is a load of crap IMO. Best thing is to rig a manual fan switch and get it to run about 200-205. Oh, this is in a 99 Grand Am GT 3.4L V-6. Any suggestions for the oil situation for winter time? Thanks

I've got that SAE paper right here and the test duration was 62 months, and a total of 7000 miles. They sampled 5.4L of oil and also added 4.4L of oil. So effectively they did do a couple of oil changes based on this additional oil, although there was no full oil drain.

The first 3800 mile phase they did two 3 mile trips per day, in the last 3200 miles they did two 1.5 mile trips per day.

The used oil iron content was 570ppm, however a visual inspection of the engine showed no abnormal wear or corrosion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back