Short Tripping a Small Diesel w/ DPF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spun this thread off my one I started yesterday about the 2018 GMC Terrain we are looking at that is equipped w/ 1.6L turbo-diesel. As all diesels today, it is equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter and uses Diesel Emission Fluid. Car is for my wife. Her main driving pattern is short trips. Her work commute is particularly short @ 8 miles each way speed limits not exceeding 45mph. Her other local trips are short run around town grocery or etc., let's say 10 - 15 miles then stop, park to shop awhile, and etc.

I found the following in the 2018 GMC Terrain owner manual:

-------

Cleaning the DPF (Exhaust Filter)

While the DPF cleaning is automatically controlled by the engine computer, the vehicle will need to operate continuously for approximately 25 minutes and at speeds greater than 50 km/h (30 mph) to clean the DPF effectively.

Special DPF Driver Messages.

If the vehicle is used for numerous short trips or extended slow-speed operation, the engine computer may not be able to clean the DPF effectively. If this happens, a Driver Information Center (DIC) message will display. If the vehicle continues to be driven in a manner that prevents effective DPF cleaning, the DPF will become plugged. If this occurs, the engine computer will turn on the Malfunction Indicator Lamp in the instrument cluster and a DIC message will display

source: https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1264548/Gmc-Terrain-2018.html?page=28#manual

-------

The upside of this car being a diesel is that every so often she likes to go out to East to visit her daughter and grand children. 10 hour interstate trip. This thing would shine for that sort of endeavor. Set the cruise on 80mph and let it eat. I do understand that is where diesels love to live, out on the open roads for long trips.

Just not sure this car would be right for her, trying to educate myself on diesels. Last diesel I have experience with was a 2005 Volkswagen TDI 1.9 liter. There was no DPF's or DEF back then but that VW had known issue with accumulating sludge in the intake manifold due to the way VW did diesel EGR (exhaust gas recirc) back then.
[/size]

I wouldn't buy a diesel for a short tripper and instead look at a hybrid. If you insist on this diesel then I would try to find out about quirks for this particular engine. I suspect the engine is also used in the UK (Europe) so perhaps asking around.

Over time with the driving conditions you describe, you will eventually have an issue IF the regen cycle never completes. For example, Ford has a "drive to clean" message that eventually shows up under those conditions and if one does not heed it and allow the regen cycle to complete, it typically means a trip to the shop for them to force a cleaning cycle. Modern diesels are made for the open road, not stop and go city driving. While I miss the power of my (now sold) Powerstroke, I do not miss the DEF/DPF/SCR and the inevitability of DPF replacement or replacement of some other emissions component--which always means $$$$.

I daresay if city (stop and go or short tripping) driving will be the primary way the vehicle will be driven, then a diesel is not the vehicle to choose. The "every so often" road trip would not the qualifier for me to choose a modern diesel given the issues that I described and the amount of maintenance needed. Hope this helps!

Based on the driving conditions described, I'd stay away from a diesel.

Hybrid would probably be a better solution.

Been there, that's why we have the 5.7L in my sig now instead of the EcoDiesel. The frequency of the regens with the short tripping my wife was doing in the winter killed it for us.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Been there, that's why we have the 5.7L in my sig now instead of the EcoDiesel. The frequency of the regens with the short tripping my wife was doing in the winter killed it for us.

The 3.6L would have been perfect for you ....
28.gif

Originally Posted by Danno
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

The 3.6L would have been perfect for you ....
28.gif

We had the 3.6L in the Durango, unfortunately, my wife loves torque, and the 3.6L doesn't bring that, whilst the EcoDiesel and the HEMI both do. Ergo, we went HEMI on the replacement for the diesel.

Personally, as a diesel owner, I'd say that's probably the wrong duty cycle for a modern diesel. Depends how often those 10 hour trips are...every month? Go for it. Every 6 months? Nah, go for petrol (gasoline).

For you, the gasser is a better option, although I dunno how I would feel with auto start/stop(if it can be removed via a flash or EFILive for GM, even better). If MPG is a concern, a hybrid.

Just curious, how much $$ is the diesel option? I bet you can buy a lot of gasoline for that $$, and not have the headaches.

Not a good fit for a Diesel. I have a Golf TDI and my commute to work is only ~14 miles each way. Sometimes I interrupt the DPF regen cycle on accident and it fires back up on my next trip. I have to make sure to get a good long trip in(at least an hour) every few weeks to make sure a regen cycle completes. It works fine for me as I do drive a semi long trip every few weeks. However, frequent 10 mile trips will not allow enough time for regen and you'll throw a code eventually and have to manually force a regen cycle and drive around on the highway until it completes.

Yep. Get a gasser. I doubt you would realize any savings. Constant regens suck and kill your efficiency. Then couple that with expensive fuel filters, timing belts and Def. Now Def usage really is minimal but all this added emissions complexity adds cost and risk. A buddy of mine ran into a derate condition on his 2013 f250. Nox sensor went out. Was around 1500 to replace at dealer as he was just out of warranty. Was similar cost for a delete, which he did.

Unless you pile on the highway miles or tow heavy, go gas.

The worst scenario for a modern diesel: short trip, cold climate, dpf to be clean, expensive repair bill, etc.

Any other fuel type would be better: gasoline, hybrid, EV, CNG, propane / LPG, maybe not hydrogen fuel cell, but you won't get it anyways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back