Short tripped ‘17 accord 2.4

My small stash of Mobil 1 ep is used up. I had a hard time finding the last two jugs. From my reading here the formula has changed, so I’m wondering what to buy next. This car is short tripped mon thru fri. We use it for around town driving often less than 15 miles total. The short trips are literally five city blocks. I change the oil every 3000-5000 or 6 months. I have used Mobil 1 ep. Amsoil xl, Kendall gt1, and maybe PP OR PUP. I have been going to Walmart lately to purchase oil because it is convenient. Withhballl that said what’s a good recommendation? We live in northeast Wisconsin if that helps.

Doesn't matter what you use with those short intervals so i wouldn't spend the money on more expensive oils. QS 0w-20 would be more than good for your driving, i wouldn't recommend thicker since the oil probably never gets the chance to thin out.

I would use SuperTech or Kirkland oil 0W20 full synthetic. A five quart jug of Kirkland at Costco is less than $20 per jug however you have to buy two jugs at a time which is not a game changer for most people.

My '16 Accord also sees a fair number of short trips. The last UOA I took shows that Valvoline 0w-20 Extended Protection would probably suit your needs and was used over a similar mileage.

Last edited:
The car does get the occasional long trip up to the up and Milwaukee when I know parking in tight spots will be an issue.

What do you expect the, long life oils to do for short oil change interval

I used the Mobil 1 extended protection because it was highly thought of here. I had no intention to use it as an extended drain interval. I was just trying to buy a food oil for this engine and how it gets used.

The oil is ready to be changed and I’m seeking advice for the best protection for how we use this car. I have mostly stuck to name brand oil that have a good reputation here. I’m looking for the cheapest price but I do want good protection

Last edited:
My small stash of Mobil 1 ep is used up. I had a hard time finding the last two jugs. From my reading here the formula has changed, so I’m wondering what to buy next. This car is short tripped mon thru fri. We use it for around town driving often less than 15 miles total. The short trips are literally five city blocks. I change the oil every 3000-5000 or 6 months. I have used Mobil 1 ep. Amsoil xl, Kendall gt1, and maybe PP OR PUP. I have been going to Walmart lately to purchase oil because it is convenient. Withhballl that said what’s a good recommendation? We live in northeast Wisconsin if that helps.
Pup 0w-20. Walmart will deliver to your door, free, on $35+ orders

I had QSFS 5w30 in my Element K24 and now I have PP Euro 0-40 in it. PP Euro L 5w30 is readily available at wallyworld too. Maxlife red bottle or QS High Mileage blend in 5w30 is easy to find as well

With all that said what’s a good recommendation? We live in northeast Wisconsin if that helps.
It really doesn't matter. Your OCI's combined with your driving conditions (including living in NE Wisconsin), the car will rust away before the engine wears out if you use the worst-performing 0w20 that has the specs Honda indicates are correct for this engine.

Similar to my 83yr/old mom's 2015 camry. She bought it new and it currently has 43K miles on it. I used to change the oil on it yearly for her, but I now have my shop down the road change it along with it's yearly state inspection. It still has the original brakes even. One set of tires is all it's needed aside from oil/filters.

Back