Short Ram Air Intake

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read a lot about this on other forums but you guys are the experts. I bought a 2007 Honda Civic Si and read about Short Ram Air Intake's. There are many opinions if they really are worth spending 200 bucks for performance gain if any. Why not cold air? Because it never gets that hot here and there is plenty of air cirulation around my motor. The stock air system works fine but is it really worth going to a short ram? Panel K&N? Leave it stock? Any proof of performance gains without extensive work on exhaust?

Thanks.

Save your $$. 2hp @ 7k RPMs isn't worth it. Buy some ARX and FP+ and I bet your engine would feel peppier than with a hot air intake.

Stock intakes are adequate and flow enough air for stock engines. Butt dynos are tricked by loud intake and exhaust noise.

I put one on my B16, and I think its ok. It filters fine with the K&N cone filter. Being in WA, I wouldn't put a cold air intake on because the danger of sucking in water from a deep puddle (I know they also sell bypass valves).

Stupid question, what is ARX and FP+? I go way back to the Torinos, Roadrunners, and Judge GTO, days.
coffee.gif

Short ram intakes have proven performance gains. You really need to dyno to get the numbers. Ask around the Civic Si forums to see if they actually help YOUR car. I know the one I installed on my Matrix helped. The exhaust helped too but I know the Civic already has an upgraded exhaust.

The exhaust helped too but I know the Civic already has an upgraded exhaust.

I've had the 2006 Si as well some improvements on the 2007 but not the air intake. The intake on the 06 and 07 Si's are cold intake. The air runs into the filter box from the fender well however when it hits the box it's a 90 degree angle. It is a good system with a few more bends I would like to see but I'm concerned if I change the stock air I could be losing performance. I would appreciate more inputs because so far you guys been a great help. I hate spending money for nothing.

ARX is Auto-Rx - a good engine cleaner. Safely cleans old engines, keeps new ones clean with "maintenance doses". FP+ is a fuel additive that contains an upper cylinder lube and also increases the combustion efficiency of gas. Both are sold by site sponsors (Auto-Rx and LCD) and are well reviewed here (under the additive sections).

More research on your car specific forums should help you determine whether its worth it or not. Only bad thing, is that there's a lot of s--- to wade through on most Civic sites.

theres nothing "ram" about short ram intakes. its just a shorter version of most oem intakes. it makes the engine louder which is why most people think they make more power. it often eliminates the hiemholtz resonators in the stock intake causing a torque loss at whatever rpm the stock hiemholtz resonators were tuned in for.

besides that, this isnt the 80's. modern cars have super efficent intakes right from the factory. the oem's wouldnt leave horsepower on the table in something as easy to change as an intake.

remember the old saying. if its cheap or easy it probably isnt very effective.

Some cold air intake kits can cause hydrolock if you hit a deep enough puddle. There are bypass kits available for those situations too. I would venture to say that most SR's or CAI's will give you gains. The amount of gain is the real question and whether or not the $ to HP ratio is high enough. One example is the intake available for my '04 Tacoma 2.4l. For $270, the expected gain is only like 5 or 6 HP. That's pretty expensive for little gain.

To see if an intake would work for you, ask the guys who have them and have had their cars dyno'd.

Some great answers from all of you. That's why I stay with BITOG and not other civic sights. Thanks for the info....so far.
patriot.gif

theres nothing "ram" about short ram intakes. its just a shorter version of most oem intakes. it makes the engine louder which is why most people think they make more power. it often eliminates the hiemholtz resonators in the stock intake causing a torque loss at whatever rpm the stock hiemholtz resonators were tuned in for.

Run around in stop and go traffic in July. Stop, immediately take infrared thermometer and measure temp of short ram intake. That should tell you how much of a HUGE waste of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ it is.

Some ricer magazine dyno test is a huge steaming pile of turds that has 100% no comparison to driving around on the street.

I put a short ram intake in my '95 Accord. I didn't do it for performance, but for gas mileage. I immediately noticed a 1 mpg improvement when I put it in, and last summer I consistently got mileage ranging from 33.5-34.5, which was the best I'd ever consistently experienced over several months.

I use a cylindrical paper STP filter made for a mid 90's prelude, so I don't have to worry about inferior cotton-gauze filtration.

I looked really hard, and never felt any torque loss.

It depends on what your goals are. I have a short ram intake and cat-back exhaust on my 99 Elantra, and the difference in acceleration and better fuel economy was noticeable each time I upgraded.

Either way, having a good air filter in the mix is a critical element. For short ram intakes, AEM Dryflow filters are one of the best-filtering cone filters out today. Take your pick for good stock filters.

I had a short ram intake on my accord, previous owner put it on, I took it off, it was stupid, car felt livlier with the stock intake, all the SRI did was make the car louder.

Quote:

I put a short ram intake in my '95 Accord. I didn't do it for performance, but for gas mileage. I immediately noticed a 1 mpg improvement when I put it in, and last summer I consistently got mileage ranging from 33.5-34.5, which was the best I'd ever consistently experienced over several months.

I use a cylindrical paper STP filter made for a mid 90's prelude, so I don't have to worry about inferior cotton-gauze filtration.

It's a Honda. It never had any torque to start with
laugh.gif

Everyone says you are just pulling in hot air with a short ram. You think air coming off the pavement is cool when it's 100degrees outside?

You will definitely get a better fuel/air mixture. The question is can your engine use it?

It rains too fast and too deep here for a cold air intake under the bumper, even with a bypass filter. You wouldn't want to be buying a new air filter every two weeks.

Just my personal experience with an SRI, stock max mph in my Matrix was 125. Added an SRI and went to 130. Added a cat back exhaust and can hit the speed limiter at 138. They do, IMHO, help. A CAI will add a bit more hp and tq (only a couple points) over an SRI but the difference is there. And we aren't talking about some dyno in a tuner mag.

This topic is running about 50-50 on SRI. In WA., it doesn't get that hot. Even our hottest summers more states will feel that temp in the spring or late winter! The cold air system is out for this part of the country because you guessed it RAIN. SRI sounds like it may improve the overall efficency of the 07 Si. I've always been a non-believer in SRI until my son bought one for his 03 Acura RSX type S and it wasn't noise I felt. There was an improvement in power however his car the stock air was so restricted I can see why the power gain. I'm not kidding it really made a difference. The Si I'm not sure and I appreciate all the advice and opinions. I will check this thread often because I'm still undecided on the Si. If it's a small gain with better mileage that would be good enough for me. With a SRI in this state you have cool air moving around, up, and through your engine year 'round. Keep advice coming because I've been out of the loop a long time but after reading about the Si at Thrunderhill they had bolt ons (I think I read) and still won their class.

Quote:

Quote:

laugh.gif

Torque or no, with 202,000 miles it still runs AND looks like new.

offtopic.gif

202K SRI or not he's doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back