Shop rags

What do you all use for shop rags? And where do you get them? I had a bunch I bought on Amazon about a year ago. I'm out of them. I'm using some old microfibers and t-shirts now..

Thank you

I use old shirts and cheap paper towels. Anything sold as a "shop towel" is usually just an overpriced paper towel, and I haven't found them to be any better.

The red ones are the worst because they seem to leave a lot of fibers from the towel behind.

Here you go:

1652987462854.jpg

Why is that?
think the poster is referring to all the lint & threads the red ones cast off.
pretty epic if you use one to wipe the inside of an auto trans case before assembly.
You wind up pulling the screen & picking a wad of red cotton fibers out of it as a reward. : l

think the poster is referring to all the lint & threads the red ones cast off.
pretty epic if you use one to wipe the inside of an auto trans case before assembly.
You wind up pulling the screen & picking a wad of red cotton fibers out of it as a reward. : l
You know here lately all I've been using them for, is oils changes, transmission drain and fills, radiator drain and fills. And I really forgot about all the lint they use to leave behind. LOL

Socks, I have a couple plastic grocery bags full of old socks as well as old t-shirts. Years ago I bought a two pack of the blue shop towel and still have half a roll left, I just prefer the socks.

Socks, I have a couple plastic grocery bags full of old socks as well as old t-shirts. Years ago I bought a two pack of the blue shop towel and still have half a roll left, I just prefer the socks.
Maybe I should hit a thrift store.. and see what I can find..

I recycle old T-shirts and towels into shop rags . For a paper towel I like the blue Scott towels but they are pricey .

Next week I'm going to hit a couple thrift stores around here, and I probably be able to get something.. some t-shirts socks, I'm not messing around with somebody else's underwear LOL. If it was mine would be different.. probably be able to get some dish towels as well..

Our local large university linen services sells old terry towels and wash rags for utility use. They just upped the price to $2 per pound, not the bargain they used to be. Quality varies, but generally good for oily clean up use.

My grandma gives me all the scraps from the shirts she cuts up to make quilts with. Every time I see her she has a bag full waiting on me. I still get the red ones though too. Then I get to hear an earful when the folks find them in the washer or dryer 😂. I also use the disposable blue ones too but they get expensive I mainly use them for something that involves grease which is not anything you would want to get in the washer or dryer. I buy a large pack at Harbor Freight or Sam’s Club then wash them and use them till they fall apart. Which they will last forever usually.

Back