Shocks / Struts

Monroe makes quick struts for the 2012 TL :)

If the TL uses the same struts as the Accord, then you have lots of aftermarket support :sneaky:
The SH-AWD uses the same rear struts as the FWD TL. The fronts are different AWD to FWD and even more stiff for the AWD with 6MT, of which only a small percentage were made.

The SH-AWD uses the same rear struts as the FWD TL. The fronts are different AWD to FWD and even more stiff for the AWD with 6MT, of which only a small percentage were made.

Most of the aftermarket struts don't make any distinction between FWD and AWD, so maybe the FWD struts would still fit :unsure:

Koni makes struts for the TL, but they're only listed for FWD. It seems like FWD Konis would still fit, so you can probably get away with those and just use the second adjustment setting to compensate for the extra weight of the AWD, but even that might not be necessary.

It's strange that the front struts are different but not the rears, though! The rear struts are usually different between FWD and AWD cars due to having different suspension designs when it's a drive axle vs not being a drive axle :alien:

Thanks but Monroes are just not going to be in the same league with the factory strut cartridges. This is the TL 6MT--Acura's attempt to compete with the Germans. And I have had bad experience with KYBs. Would only consider factory or Konis.

Who made the factory struts? :unsure:
Honda started using Sachs recently, but not sure if they did at that time when your car was made. Most likely either KYB or Showa

Don't be surprised if your new OEM Honda struts say KYB on them :sneaky:

Most of the aftermarket struts don't make any distinction between FWD and AWD, so maybe the FWD struts would still fit :unsure:

Koni makes struts for the TL, but they're only listed for FWD. It seems like FWD Konis would still fit, so you can probably get away with those and just use the second adjustment setting to compensate for the extra weight of the AWD, but even that might not be necessary.

It's strange that the front struts are different but not the rears, though! The rear struts are usually different between FWD and AWD cars due to having different suspension designs when it's a drive axle vs not being a drive axle :alien:

Who made the factory struts? :unsure:
Honda started using Sachs recently, but not sure if they did at that time when your car was made. Most likely either KYB or Showa

Don't be surprised if your new OEM Honda struts say KYB on them :sneaky:
I won't be surprised, however, the knowledge that the shocks will work as well as the OEM is worth something to me. Just because KYB may have been the OEM and now is selling replacement struts doesn't mean that the damping will be set correctly. As others have pointed out here, sometimes shocks sold as replacement shocks are valved differently to compensate for the fact that as replacement shocks the suspension is worn. Am I over thinking this? yes, to an extent, however, I will always remember how disappointed I was with KYBs when I put them on my Bronco years ago. Replaced them very quickly.

Details, please?
Had a full sized Bronco that I bought new in 1985 with a 302 and a stick. Loved it. Always kept it stock. In the mid 90s I replaced the shocks with KYBs . They hardly dampened at all and got worse quickly. I dont remember what I replaced them with maybe Gabriel s kept the truck until the body started rusting and I needed a new transfer case. Regret having sold it to this day

Update, just drove the car with the new struts. Also had new springs put in. Car rides completely differently. No brake dip, steering much much tighter. Feels like a much newer car.

Back