Shimano Dura-Ace HG901 chain failure

What's your opinion of SRAM chains? We have a sinle-speed, several 8-speeds, and a 9-speed in the fleet.

I've tended to use a mixture of Shimano and SRAM rear cassettes, and mostly Shimano or SRAM chains, with an occasional KMC or Wippermann chain.
SRAM chains have been good. I replace a lot of Z chains with PC830, which is essentially the old Sedisport. That chain was a marvel.

Chain looks pretty clean to me. You should see what I usually ride…

Glad you caught it, but I do wonder if its just a fluke.

Chain looks pretty clean to me. You should see what I usually ride…

Glad you caught it, but I do wonder if its just a fluke.
It’s either a fluke (my guess) or a bad batch. The design cannot be questioned as it’s well proven.
A long time ago I snapped a RH Record crank arm. It was nearly new and free of any stress riser. Inside, you could clearly see a flaw in the metal. I never considered changing brands or models.
To the OP, I love your area. One of my favorite rides is over Prefumo Canyon Road, down to the coast. To a mid Atlantic resident it’s quite heady stuff.

... A long time ago I snapped a RH Record crank arm. It was nearly new and free of any stress riser. Inside, you could clearly see a flaw in the metal. ...
Speaking of crank arms, another public safety message is to inspect Shimano cranks regularly. For the past few years Ultegra and Dura Ace are glued together rather than forged from a single piece of alloy like the old ones. Sometimes these new ones fail. Plenty of details on this if you Google it.

This video has tips how to identify counterfeit chains. If you didn't have them side by side, it can be hard to tell.
That would be my guess. It can be hard to be sure today. When ever I see an unusual failure, I now suspect counterfeit parts.

According to my Strava, my current HG901 is doing pretty well, and according to my Pedro's Chain Checker I haven't hit .5% wear yet.

ChainShimanoDura Ace 901Feb 1, 202113,985.7 miRetire |Delete

There is an epidemic of fake Shimano chains on the market, especially eBay and even Amazon. I only buy mine from cycling retailer websites like Jenson USA or WorldWideCyclery. I actually bought a DA chain from eBay and then another one from Jenson, and looking at the boxes side by side, there were obvious issues, though the chains themselves appeared to be more similar than the packaging. I gave the fake away to a friend for his indoor trainers bike with full disclosure about my findings, and it didn't break but wore out within 2,000 miles last winter.

OP: if it was just hopping on that one link with the problem, I would just drive out the pin and put a quick link in there and keep using it. So long as the rest of the chain looked good, anyway. I have done exactly that in the past and gone on to use the chain thousands of miles beyond the repair.

Broken chain today stage 19 of TDF. The announcer (Phil?) nails it with his commentary.

The narrower chains for 11 and 12 speed cassette wear out more quickly. I would get a chain stretch gauge if you haven't already, and replace the chains when they start to reach .75. I suspect you need a new cassette now.
Its .5 % for 10 speed and higher chains. .75 for up to 9 speed

I only use quick links to complete a chain, no matter what the brand. IMO, chains have gotten too narrow to reliably complete them with a single pin. As a dyed in the wool Campagnolo man, I have to give credit where credit is due. I use genuine Shimano chains and cassettes on my gravel bike and am amazed at the torture they take.

Counterfeit chains and other parts have gotten so common that I will only buy bike parts from actual bike stores. Not from Amazon or other general retailers who don't do nearly enough to investigate and stop the fraud.

Back