Shimano Crankset Recall: DuraAce and Ultegra

This recall was announced yesterday. As many of you know, Shimano DA and Ultegra cranks have been glued together for the past several years. It's a bit lighter than Shimano 105, which is forged. But of course it is less durable. Plenty of documented cases of the glue failing, causing the cranks to fail, which in some cases can cause serious injury.

Strangely, the recall doesn't impact cranks made after 2019, even though they are still glued together. Apparently, Shimano changed something.

Plenty in the news on this if you Google for it, for example:

Good thing I have cheap crappy components. I don't have a road bike but I imagine it would be bad for that to break while your really huffing it and giving your full force to those cranks. Couple that speed with skinny little tires and that's a recipe for disaster

I have 2 sets of Ultegra on a road bike (Trek Domane) and a gravel ride (Kish Ti I built myself) and luckily all good for the last 6 years or so. But reading the comments from Shimano leaves me :cry:. I expect more from them and less of a cold, hard, industrial feel but hey, big business is that animal.

I have one set of Ultegra cranks made after 2019, not subject to this recall. And one set of Dura Ace cranks a bit older that are subject to this recall. I've been aware of this issue and inspect them monthly when I clean the drivetrain, so far they are fine. If they ever do show signs of failure, at least now I know Shimano will replace them no matter how old they are.

Only a small % of the affected cranks fail, but even so this issue has been well documented for years and Shimano did know about and even improved their design/manufacture accordingly. Cranks should be a lifetime part and these are their highest quality most expensive models. So it's past due for Shimano to acknowledge and address it.

My 105 equipped Cannondale is not affected but did require a replacement of a recalled carbon fork. The LBS charged for installation, about $25+tax. I wonder if Shimano will absorb installation.

BTW, the term "recall" seems misleading here. That implies replacing all units in the field regardless of whether they have failed. Yet it seems Shimano wants to wait for them to actually fail first? Crazy.

The article says: "For those whose cranksets pass inspection, Shimano says 'there is no need for further action.'"

This is just plain incorrect. Just because they haven't failed yet, doesn't mean they aren't going to fail soon. The problem relates to incremental/progressive corrosion leading to delamination of the glued-together parts. Indeed, the cranks that did fail, would have passed inspection when they were new. Further action was most definitely needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this so-called "recall" eventually turns into a bona-fide recall.

BTW, the term "recall" seems misleading here. That implies replacing all units in the field regardless of whether they have failed. Yet it seems Shimano wants to wait for them to actually fail first? Crazy.

The article says: "For those whose cranksets pass inspection, Shimano says 'there is no need for further action.'"

This is just plain incorrect. Just because they haven't failed yet, doesn't mean they aren't going to fail soon. The problem relates to incremental/progressive corrosion leading to delamination of the glued-together parts. Indeed, the cranks that did fail, would have passed inspection when they were new. Further action was most definitely needed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this so-called "recall" eventually turns into a bona-fide recall.
Or a lawsuit

I remember snapping a shimano STX mtb crank a few decades ago, and you could see where it had been cracked for a while, and then the fresh metal in the total break. Maybe it had always been cracked? I don't know, I was a teenager and just rode the bike and never inspected it between rides.

Good thing I have cheap crappy components. I don't have a road bike but I imagine it would be bad for that to break while your really huffing it and giving your full force to those cranks. Couple that speed with skinny little tires and that's a recipe for disaster
You are NOT supposed to MASH the pedals.
Spin, don´t mash.

I’m opposed to bonding, but theoretically there’s nothing wrong with it. Lots of bonded components in other fields are more stressed and at least as mission critical as a crankset, and do fine. These were defective, hence the dates issued. Still, I don’t like it. And we’re talking about a LOT of product. It’s a nightmare.

It's pretty common knowledge that the mashing of pedals is a pretty good way to invite all sorts of knee issues and pain.
Sure, but this particular case has nothing to do with mashing or spinning. It's caused by incremental progressive corrosion of the metals, not stress from mashing.

Back