Shift behaviour as manual trans warms up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took my Mitsubishi sports car out yesterday and paid particular attention to the shift behaviour. It currently has Redline MT90 in it (although I have some SF MTL-P on order).

I am still trying to educate myself about synchromesh operation etc. and wonder if anyone can explain the following:

When the transmission is cold it is very notchy and baulky shifting 1-2 and 2-3, but there is no grinding or crunching. Shifts 3-4 and 4-5 are not bad.
When the transmission warms up a little (after, say, 5-miles) then the shifting is a little better, but 2-3 tends to start crunching. This puzzles me - I would expect the warmer fluid to be thinner and therefore the 2-3 synchro to work better. What is going on here to make this happen?

FTO - Good question. Manual trannys are tempermental in feel and lube requirements.
There is a good chance it will be a moot point, with the MTL P in it.
Give it a couple of hundred miles with the new sauce, and see where you are at.
Make sure your clutch is bled, and in adjustment, BTW.

my m46 in my 83 Volvo 244T is just the opposite. great when its cold, gets a lot thinner as it warms up. gonna try some amsoil supershift.

quote:

gonna try some amsoil supershift.

You might want to try our MTFGlide as well. GL4 protection with a slightly higher viscosity, and friction modification optimized for manual trannies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back