Shield Choice in 06 Camry 100,000 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder with 100,000 miles on it. I am considering switching from conventional oil to 5 W 20 Shield Choice Synthetic blend. The car does not burn oil. I change conventional oil every 5000 miles Would you extend oil change intervals to 7500 with a synthetic blend oil or would you stick with the 5000 mile interval?

Thank you!

What have you been using to get to 100k and no oil burning?
Seriously consider staying the course and continue using your current fill and OCI.
Still feel the need to switch? Sure, Shield is a fine oil, and 5k is where I would be.
I'd say the same thing about Valvoline Maxlife.

What conventional oil grade have you been using all along?...Isn't your engine spec'd for 5W30 conventional?(even though Toyota back spec'd many of it's models to use a 20 grade).

Personally I wouldn't change to a "specifically labeled" syn/blend(due to being mostly marketing). Most, if not all 5W20, 5W30 and some 10W30 "CONVENTIONAL" oils are already a syn/blend anyway, just without the labeling. And it says so in the oil companies PDS.

Maybe the "conventional oils" aren't as high of a % in their blend but a blend just the same and certainly good enough for your Camry 2.4L, which isn't a fussy engine when it comes to oil.

Originally Posted by beanoil
What have you been using to get to 100k and no oil burning?
Seriously consider staying the course and continue using your current fill and OCI.

I think the oil burning was more prominent starting in 2007 with those Toyota 2.4L
And I agree that the OP(Neil) should stay with what has been working all this time and keep with 5000 mile oil change intervals(OCIs) considering the low annual mileage.

neilberk,
If you want to travel 7500-8000 OCI(or once per year) to sort of match your annual mileage then use a full synthetic oil and maybe stick with a 5W30 as not to promote any oil burning this late in the life of the car...Just my opinion!

Originally Posted by nealberke
I have a 2006 Toyota Camry 4 cylinder with 100,000 miles on it. I am considering switching from conventional oil to 5 W 20 Shield Choice Synthetic blend. The car does not burn oil. I change conventional oil every 5000 miles Would you extend oil change intervals to 7500 with a synthetic blend oil or would you stick with the 5000 mile interval?

Thank you!

Switch to full synthetic and 7.5K OCIs.

I used Choice 5w30 (called "Tropartic" when we bought the car new in 2006) in our daughter's Corolla and didn't use a drop of oil in 200,000+ miles when we sold it to an extended family member.

OCI of 2,500 miles or so with Purolator Classic filters.

Continue to use/replenish my stash of Choice in 5/20, 5/30, and 10/30 grades when I can get it for $1.70/quart.

You got 200K out of Puro Classics only?..... and it uses no oil........... still in service today?

We have a member here with over 350K using PepLine oil filters (Proline) only. Which is also a house brand Puro.

That's it! I heard enough. I'm switching to Puro Classics or Pep Boys filters immediately.

They arent fussy. Id swap to a full syn and go 10k miles. If you find deals, full syn can be had for cheap and it would likely work out to even less over course of an oil change. You can likely go 7500 on conventional oil too.

Surprised no one has mentioned the "just go full syn" because it's just a few dollars more bit yet. I do agree with that however. Just run QSUD or Supertech FS to 7-9K miles. Use a TG or XG filter.

Phillips oils are great products. Personally, I'd stick to 5k OCI, as Toyota's 'can' be hard on oil and start burning it.

The only way to know if Sheild Choice will last a 7500 oci is to do it and do a few UOAs.

Do a UOA at 5k, see what they say, look at metals, fuel, tbn, etc.

From there adjust depending on what they say.

BEANOIL: "What have you been using to get to 100k and no oil burning"? Mostly Valvoline conventional 5w30 or Mobil 5w30 when my Toyota dealer did my oil changes. My car has some blue smoke when starting cold and that's not all the time.

CHARBABY: "What conventional oil grade have you been using all along?...Isn't your engine spec'd for 5W30 conventional?(even though Toyota back spec'd many of it's models to use a 20 grade)" You are right. 5w30 is what Toyota says should be used in my 2006 Camry. i didn't know that conventional oils contained synthetic base stocks.

Originally Posted by nealberke
BEANOIL: "What have you been using to get to 100k and no oil burning"? Mostly Valvoline conventional 5w30 or Mobil 5w30 when my Toyota dealer did my oil changes. My car has some blue smoke when starting cold and that's not all the time.

CHARBABY: "What conventional oil grade have you been using all along?...Isn't your engine spec'd for 5W30 conventional?(even though Toyota back spec'd many of it's models to use a 20 grade)" You are right. 5w30 is what Toyota says should be used in my 2006 Camry. i didn't know that conventional oils contained synthetic base stocks.

Some conventionals contain little synthetic stock. More-so with 5w30 versus 5W20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back