Shell Rimula or Rotella

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings: I am a longtime user of Rotella 15W-40W
for my 1986 Ford F-250 6.2 {IH} diesel...Advance Auto Parts in my area has started offering Rimula 15W-40W at about 80 cents per gallon cheaper.

Is the difference between these to that big to justify staying a TRUE Rotella user?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Alfonzy

I looked up the specs for the Rotella and Rimula on Shell's website. This is what I found...

Viscosity: at 40 and 100C are the same

Flash Point: Rimula is 445F vs 415F for Rotella

Pour Point: Rimula is -30F vs -15F for Rotella

TBN: 10 for Rimula vs 11.5 for Rotella

So the Rimula has better flash point and pour point numbers, while the Rotella has a higher TBN.

Unless you stretch you oil change intervals, where the higher TBN would be a benefit, the Rimula looks better to me.

Tim

I don't see enough difference between them to pick one over the other. I still like Pennzoil, Mobil Delvac, Schaeffer, or Chevron Delo better, anyway.

Ken

quote:

Originally posted by Alfonzy:
for my 1986 Ford F-250 6.2 {IH} diesel...Advance Auto Parts in my area has started offering Rimula 15W-40W at about 80 cents per gallon cheaper.

Is the difference between these to that big to justify staying a TRUE Rotella user?
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Rimula or Rotella??

I'd have to say Delo 400 15w-40.

These oils sound like enemy civilizations from Star Trek.

PS - I'M NOT A TREKKIE!

cheers.gif

Someone told me that the rimula is the old texaco formula-whatever that is worth.

richard

Use Pennzoil Longlife. It's got 120 ppm of Moly!!

quote:

Originally posted by Alfonzy:

biggthumbcoffe.gif

quote:

Originally posted by fields:
Someone told me that the rimula is the old texaco formula-whatever that is worth.

richard

Actually, Rimula has been Shell's HD oil in Europe for some time, where Rotella is marketed in the US. For some reason, Shell has decided to bring the Rimula brand to the US as well—I just wish they'd do the same thing with Helix.

One thing you can count on for Shell. They use certain names around the world, but the formulations vary considerably for the same name product. The Rimula X they were selling here was SH/CG-4 if they brought it from Chile, CF-4 from Argentina, and CD from Brazil. Most product was Argentine, but only the label and their spec sheets could tell you, as some product came without API clasifications on the labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back