Shell Rewards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I started doing Shell rewards last October and get .05 off a gallon up to 20 gallons each fill. I buy gas there anyway so why not. He also does a .10 Tuesday for a few weeks a year, not sure how that works yet. So far I saved over $9 and I don't use that much fuel, I fill my car up about once a month averaging 14 gallons, my truck gets filled up about every 5/6 weeks at 24ish gallons.

It's really easy, just swipe the rewards card before the credit card and I have not received any spam emails or calls from them. They send you an email every fill up with details. They also send out offers, I got one that over six fills three were .05 off and three at .10 off.

Anyone else use Shell rewards or something similar where you get fuel?

We just use Costco, which is consistently 15¢-20¢ or more lower than anybody else around.
Plus 4% cash back with the Costco Visa for all gas purchases.
Plus Top Tier fuel.
The gas savings alone pays for our membership many times over.
What's not to like???

Originally Posted by Imp4
We just use Costco, which is consistently 15¢-20¢ or more lower than anybody else around.
Plus Top Tier fuel.
What's not to like???

I wish we had a Costco plus our fuel in town in regulated some how, every one sells gas at the same price, you never see one station lower than the other.

Originally Posted by Duffyjr
I started doing Shell rewards last October and get .05 off a gallon up to 20 gallons each fill. I buy gas there anyway so why not. He also does a .10 Tuesday for a few weeks a year, not sure how that works yet. So far I saved over $9 and I don't use that much fuel, I fill my car up about once a month averaging 14 gallons, my truck gets filled up about every 5/6 weeks at 24ish gallons.

It's really easy, just swipe the rewards card before the credit card and I have not received any spam emails or calls from them. They send you an email every fill up with details. They also send out offers, I got one that over six fills three were .05 off and three at .10 off.

Anyone else use Shell rewards or something similar where you get fuel?

Mobil has Rewards card. And even better if you use the Mobil Rewards phone app to buy the gas.

Shell does the 10 cents during NCAA basketball season, or at least they did last year. I also use Marathon CentsOff, that's a nickel. Speedway lets you turn gas&store points into fuel discounts. Pak-a-Sak gas stations have a 4 cent discount, and I use GasBuddy debit card which gives me an additional 5 cents off.... and there are also "GasBuddy deals" where a certain store will give only GasBuddy users an additional amount off.

Yesterday, gas was $2.52 at the pump at the local Marathon. I logged in with my CentsOff number, and they were running a GasBuddy deal for 10 cents off. So I paid $2.37 per gallon by the time my bank sees the charge. I'll take a minimum 10 cents off a gallon every single time, and sometimes up to 18-19 cents a gallon. Out here in the cornfields, all the gas stations are within 1-3 cents so it's worthwhile using the ones that do everyday discounts vs. hunting for the cheapest price.

Yep. I get the 5 cents for Gold plus 10 cents for being a T-Mobile customer. Every. Single. Week. x3 lines. Shell is my 99% exclusive fuel supplier. Only the rare occasions when they're ~$0.12 higher are they skipped in lieu of other stations' discounts. My 3 accounts have a combined $400 saved just last year. Needless to say my Eagle gas can has paid for itself several times over (yes, I track every penny it saves me in a spreadsheet).

Edit: that $400 has purchased a ton of oil
grin2.gif

Last edited:
I have a Shell Rewards card but I don't use it much because they're priced usually +20c more than the Chevron or 76 near me. While Shell has great gas, it's not worth the .20c$ more than the 76 and especially the Chevron, which I feel is the best fuel you can get bar none.

I generally fill up at the nearby Shell station. Save a dime per gallon if I punch in my Kroger Rewards number. I have an old Shell credit card but don't think it provides any savings at the pump. I'll have to doublecheck. An indy mechanic told me years ago that he did a gas check of various brands, and Shell was less watered-down vs. the competitors. Today I suspect that same truck from nearest refinery services Shell, BP, Marathon, etc.

Wife generally fills up her Outback at Costco.

Last edited:
I use the Shell Fuel rewards.

Shell also offers a credit card that gives me another 5 cents a gallon off.

Shell is usually the same price here as BP, Marathon, Speedway and the other stations.

Costco is $0.15-$0.60 cheaper in our town, the with most expensive gas (except Costco) in our state. We only use Shell rewards when traveling.

Last edited:
I've used the Shell Rewards option in the past, when living over on the Western side of Washington. However, here in the Southeastern part, there's a ton of Exxons available, usually with a .10 to .20 difference in price. Plus using the app can save an extra .25 a gallon at most of them.

Originally Posted by jalf
I generally fill up at the nearby Shell station. Save a dime per gallon if I punch in my Kroger Rewards number.

Same here, but I learned they deduct 100 fuel reward points each time regardless how much you pump so I'm going to wait longer to fill up. Do you happen to know if the Shell Reward card will allow you to double down with additional discounts?

Originally Posted by NissanMaxima
Originally Posted by jalf
I generally fill up at the nearby Shell station. Save a dime per gallon if I punch in my Kroger Rewards number.

Same here, but I learned they deduct 100 fuel reward points each time regardless how much you pump so I'm going to wait longer to fill up. Do you happen to know if the Shell Reward card will allow you to double down with additional discounts?

Sign up for Gas Buddy. Get one of their cards. Sign up for Shell Rewards. Add your phone number to your Shell rewards account. Then you can use you phone number as your alternate ID at the pump for Shell Rewards and can then use your Gas Buddy cars as payment. This way you use any Shell Rewards you have (standard gold rewards are .05$ a gallon) together with your Gas Buddy rewards (standard is .05$ a gallon).

And you can earn more $ off if you make online purchases through the Gas Buddy app. There are some big name businesses that participate like Walmart and advance auto and ***** sporting goods.

Originally Posted by Imp4
Plus Top Tier fuel.
What's not to like???

Depends on the location. I find that even in high price areas, Costco can be about the same price. I was on a trip and found a Costco that was a few blocks off the nearest freeway, with lots of nearby gas stations. I've seen anywhere up to 60 cents a gallon less at Costco compared to the surrounding gas stations. At least for regular.

It's also possible to do it with a Costco Cash card. I remember when my Costco membership expired and I delayed renewing, I asked someone to buy them for me and I was using them to buy gas.

Well, I just noticed that the Murphy USA and Murphy Express that are near me dropped the "does not accept Gas Buddy card" logo within the Gas Buddy app.

Only one way to find out if it will work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back