Shelf Life Antifreeze?

Wondering what is the real shelf life of unopened, never opened since the day it was bottled, still sealed Peak, Zerex, or Prestone or other Long Life "Any Make / Any Model" 5 year/150K full strength antifreezes? I bought a bunch maybe 5 or 6 years ago on sales and still have maybe 14 gallons on hand.

I would think it's still fine if there hasn't been any additive drop out....after all it's good for 5 years in an engine so 5 years unopened shouldn't be a problem, IMO.

Some manufacturers will list a shelf life of 5 years, but it's doesn't really go bad sitting on the shelf especially if it's unopened. I've used coolant that's been sitting for far longer than 5 years and never had a issue.

I've still got some of the old Prestone Low Tox green stuff in my garage that's between 15-20 years old. I think I bought all they had one time when I caught it on clearance for $1 a gallon. I've used on it over the years and gave some to my dad before he died in 2010. I'm also using motor oil that's 15-25 years old. Never had a problem with either one.

Oh yeah, got some old oil too, 32 quarts Kendall GT-1 20w50 that's easily 25 years old I guess, it was bought when I had a vehicle that used it. Got some other that is more useable in today's vehicles like 10w30, 5w30, even a few qts 5w20 ... but different brands. Got a few gallons 15w40 too.
Then I have some Mercon V for my car's trans changes, but it goes quick when changing a dozen quarts at once.

I just had noticed that I had so much of the AF on hand and looked on the websites. I'll use at least 6 or 8 gallons this year between some changes. Someplace I had read on a website that it had a 3 year shelf life, even though it could be used for 5 years in a engine and thought :D

Chevron (Havoline) says 8 years for their Dex-Cool formula, which is really just a universal application.

• Stability — Can be stored for approximately 8 years in sealed containers without any effect on the product quality or performance.​

Older style Prestone had a fairly short shelf life because the silicates would inevitably drop out into a gel. Not sure what the deal was with low-silicate extended life coolant.

Back