Shedding

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, we have four pets:
2x dogs:
- Newfoundland
- Boxer (white)

2x cats, both Himalayans.

The newfie sheds your typical tumble weed lumps of fur here and there, pretty typical. The Himmies shed like you'd expect a longhair to.

The boxer sheds like no animal I've ever seen. I'm talking like fur snowbanks in and around his crate that appear rapidly. It's absolutely nuts how much that dog sheds, I've had to greatly increase my frequency of vacuuming to stay on top of it.

Does anybody else have a boxer and is experiencing this? My wife just shrugs it off as being normal for the breed, but it just blows my mind.

Some friends of mine re-carpeted their house in "boxer color" carpet because of this. Bad idea, if you ask me, because people tend to not clean things they can't see, but.....all 3 of their boxers kept their ceramic tile looking like it was growing fur. If your dog looks healthy, and the fur that stays in looks good and there are no bald spots, I think you're ok.

Can't speak to cats but we have 2 dogs. Both are rescues. Both from the south (TX and NC). First is a hound/lab mix, 55lbs and hair not fur. Figured he'd be easy in the shedding department. Nope. Once he hit the cold weather he shed a lot and goes through a few coats a year depending on the temps. We thought he wouldn't like snow....NOPE! Loves it. We figured he would not like the cold....NOPE! It has to get below 0F for him to come back inside quickly. Otherwise, a morning outdoor run for him is 20-30 minutes.

The new dog is a rescue from NC and is labeled as an American Bulldog/Rottweiler mix. He is about 90lbs and very short hair, not fur. He does not shed as much but since the temps have gotten colder you can see more thread and feel a thicker coat on him. We are running two Shark tank vacs on 3 floors and they are 90% filled with hair when done.

Dogs are the best thing you can do for yourself and your family if you are able to take care of them. But they are work.

I miss my cocker and the long haired cat we had but now we have two short haired cats and I no longer have to empty the vacuum three or four times. I can do the living room, dinning room and steps without stopping.

It sure varies by critter. Our boxer/beagle/pug mix pooch has very thin hair and doesn't shed much.

igASCqxl.jpg

So, we have four pets:
2x dogs:
- Newfoundland
- Boxer (white)

The newfie sheds your typical tumble weed lumps of fur here and there, pretty typical. The Himmies shed like you'd expect a longhair to.

The boxer sheds like no animal I've ever seen. I'm talking like fur snowbanks in and around his crate that appear rapidly. It's absolutely nuts how much that dog sheds, I've had to greatly increase my frequency of vacuuming to stay on top of it.

Does anybody else have a boxer and is experiencing this? My wife just shrugs it off as being normal for the breed, but it just blows my mind.
No Boxers but our fawn pug shed like a mutha. Black one not nearly so bad.

I don’t have a boxer but my lab sheds like nobody’s business the whole basement has to be swept every week because she sheds so much and I have to dust off my tools usually from all the stuff.

We have two yellow labs, from the same breeder, but different parents. One (left) sheds more than any dog I've seen. It's insane. She is also the sweetest dog and lives to pet and cuddled, which only exasperates the issue. Our other lab (right), shorter coat, hardly sheds at all. Two dogs of the same breed, and they're about as polar opposite of each other as possible.

Attachments

• Jay with J, W, & R..jpg
    Jay with J, W, & R..jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 9
Yes OVERKILL it's absolutely unbelievable how much they shed. My SIL and her daughter had a pair, brother and sister, one of which I used to walk and exercise regularly. I would bring Kenya up to my apartment from time to time and even after a half hour visit it was crazy the amount of hair that was left by her. A boxer's hair is the type that you can't gather easily, even after vaccuming and trying to lift off with masking tape it's still there. I don't think brushing this type of coat frequently really helps much at all. It seems if it's a bit on the cool side outdoors or indoors for that matter may help. In other words keep the heat in your home on the low side if possible. One of these two ladies also has a white bulldog, need I say more? Good luck.

Yes OVERKILL it's absolutely unbelievable how much they shed. My SIL and her daughter had a pair, brother and sister, one of which I used to walk and exercise regularly. I would bring Kenya up to my apartment from time to time and even after a half hour visit it was crazy the amount of hair that was left by her. A boxer's hair is the type that you can't gather easily, even after vaccuming and trying to lift off with masking tape it's still there. I don't think brushing this type of coat frequently really helps much at all. It seems if it's a bit on the cool side outdoors or indoors for that matter may help. In other words keep the heat in your home on the low side if possible. One of these two ladies also has a white bulldog, need I say more? Good luck.

Yes! Those short little hairs stick into everything! It's insane.

Can't speak to cats but we have 2 dogs. Both are rescues. Both from the south (TX and NC). First is a hound/lab mix, 55lbs and hair not fur. Figured he'd be easy in the shedding department. Nope. Once he hit the cold weather he shed a lot and goes through a few coats a year depending on the temps. We thought he wouldn't like snow....NOPE! Loves it. We figured he would not like the cold....NOPE! It has to get below 0F for him to come back inside quickly. Otherwise, a morning outdoor run for him is 20-30 minutes.

The new dog is a rescue from NC and is labeled as an American Bulldog/Rottweiler mix. He is about 90lbs and very short hair, not fur. He does not shed as much but since the temps have gotten colder you can see more thread and feel a thicker coat on him. We are running two Shark tank vacs on 3 floors and they are 90% filled with hair when done.

Dogs are the best thing you can do for yourself and your family if you are able to take care of them. But they are work.

They all shed, cats,dogs, any long or short haired animal really. Cats and dogs are the main two domesticated in houses. Dogs are friendlier lol.

We too only do the rescue animals. Kudos.

My cats shed in the spring like whenever it gets warm.. Pet them, big hand full of cat hair. Cats don't have fur. They have hair.

The animal will also just start shedding sometimes.

Honest advice? Have In The House clothes, and clothes you put on just before you go out.

We have two yellow labs, from the same breeder, but different parents. One (left) sheds more than any dog I've seen. It's insane. She is also the sweetest dog and lives to pet and cuddled, which only exasperates the issue. Our other lab (right), shorter coat, hardly sheds at all. Two dogs of the same breed, and they're about as polar opposite of each other as possible.

They are so cute!.

Yellow labs.. very closely related to a Golden, though slight difference. Very nice dogs.

We bought the Furminator brush for when we had 2 Rottweilers and it worked great. It was expensive at the time, like $50-60 if I remember correctly. The amount of hair it removed was absolutely wild. The inventors built a 10 million dollar house here but I’m pretty sure they’re now divorced. There’s probably a Chinese knockoff available online for $10. Highly recommend trying one.

We bought the Furminator brush for when we had 2 Rottweilers and it worked great. It was expensive at the time, like $50-60 if I remember correctly. The amount of hair it removed was absolutely wild. The inventors built a 10 million dollar house here but I’m pretty sure they’re now divorced. There’s probably a Chinese knockoff available online for $10. Highly recommend trying one.

I've been thinking of getting this.

I had 2 Newfs growing up. Excellent dogs. I sure miss them. Currently have a GSD, a pug and a cat. Hopefully either another GSD or pug soon. Lots of shedding here.

We have some friends who’ve had nothing but boxers. No complaints of shedding, but we never asked either. Then again, if they are like a pug, yeah game over man.

So, we have four pets:
2x dogs:
- Newfoundland
- Boxer (white)

Your boxer sheds almost like my cat :)

There's two beds.. his Kong bed, and the cushion of his matted hair on top of the Kong bed 🤣🤣

Back