Shearing, dilution and low cSt questions

There is new growing concern over GTL base stocks in PP , PUP and the new QSUD replacement (70%+ GTL base) to be suspect in certain engines (i.e. louder , sheering , questionable protection , no long drain options , etc.) PP and PUP may be the tops in SOPUS line up for cleaning but I have moved on to Valvoline Advanced / EP 5W30 and M1 5W30 EP .

Well, first off, base stocks don't shear. Also, the only protection a base stock alone offers is hydrodynamic, it is the additive package that looks after mixed and boundary.

I've also questioned the "cleaning" claim that has been made. The oils are formulated to keep things clean, like they all are, but the additive package is simply not designed to make oils good cleaners. That function is typically achieved via the use of an Ester, which I doubt SOPUS is using but I have no proof of that.

One of the things with the GTL base stocks is that they are all relatively thin. That is, the whole slate of them is far narrower than what one finds with say the PAO, AN and Ester product ranges from Mobil, which cover a massive scope of viscosities. This means that unless they are blending them with some heavier bases, VII loading will be higher than comparable oils that use a heavier base oil blend (like one that uses PAO).

Given the approvals the products carry, I don't think the protection offered is in any way "questionable" but I do think that there's a bit of hype surrounding the base oil selection and that while it might be a great substitute for conventional Group III, it still isn't quite the same performance level as PAO, particularly when we factor in the range of available viscosities.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 falls into that group as well. It's 50-60% GTL with 10-20% PAO. The PAO is likely a heavier one such as SpectraSyn 100 to act as a VII.

Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 falls into that group as well. It's 50-60% GTL with 10-20% PAO. The PAO is likely a heavier one such as SpectraSyn 100 to act as a VII.
Yes, that's what I was alluding to with my comments about base oil blends that include more than just GTL. I assume Mobil gets it at a steal from SOPUS, who are trying to maximize the output of Pearl, due to the insane investment made there. They can then blend it with base oils from their own massive portfolio quite cost effectively to obtain the desired traits.

Well, first off, base stocks don't shear. Also, the only protection a base stock alone offers is hydrodynamic, it is the additive package that looks after mixed and boundary.

I've also questioned the "cleaning" claim that has been made. The oils are formulated to keep things clean, like they all are, but the additive package is simply not designed to make oils good cleaners. That function is typically achieved via the use of an Ester, which I doubt SOPUS is using but I have no proof of that.

One of the things with the GTL base stocks is that they are all relatively thin. That is, the whole slate of them is far narrower than what one finds with say the PAO, AN and Ester product ranges from Mobil, which cover a massive scope of viscosities. This means that unless they are blending them with some heavier bases, VII loading will be higher than comparable oils that use a heavier base oil blend (like one that uses PAO).

Given the approvals the products carry, I don't think the protection offered is in any way "questionable" but I do think that there's a bit of hype surrounding the base oil selection and that while it might be a great substitute for conventional Group III, it still isn't quite the same performance level as PAO, particularly when we factor in the range of available viscosities.
*Good read !

Back