Share your dumb maintenance errors!

I have 3 I'm going to humble myself in sharing, and maybe you can share yours as well for some education and good conversation.

1. I nearly lost EIGHT, yes EIGHT, fingers due to a stupid car design plus my stupidity. When I was a teenager, I was learning about cars and my mother got a new used car. I offered to do an oil change. I drove the car up on ramps and started the process. I opened the hood which was held up by hydraulic arms, removed oil cap, got under car and drained the oil. Then I realized the ONLY way to access the filter was thru the wheel well, with the wheel TURNED. So with the oil all drained, I didn't want to start the car so I opted to put in neutral and push down ramps. I put my hands on the exposed engine bay, and gave a good push and rode the car down the ramps as the jolt dropped the hood right onto my 8 fingers. I'm convinced the ONLY thing that saved my bruised fingers was the heavy pair of leather work gloves I miraculously had put on...

2. Last summer I did a spark plug change on my 4.0L Ford Explorer. I made 2 mistakes that probably damaged my manifold gasket that ultimately needed to be replaced. First mistake, is disconnecting ALL of the plug wires at the same time. Don't do that and if you must, label them. Second mistake, if you're not sure of the order, don't assume they are logical and sequential. This motor goes 1, 2, 3 on the passenger side, but 4, 6, 5 on the drivers side. I didn't expect that. When I turned it on, BANG. It misfired and caused an expensive repair.... So lesson is to do 1 plug/wire at a time. Or label them. Or if nothing else, double check the order.

3. I don't think this one was my fault, or at least shared fault with my sister. She had a cross country road trip coming up. I think an ex-boyfriend sabotaged her car, but here's the story. I knew she had a road trip and offered to change her oil. I did it correctly and installed a new pan gasket and tightened the bolt as usual. Her 10 year old son watched me to the oil change and confirmed this. She drove 1000 miles in one direction with no noticeable issues, drove around for a couple weeks, and then 500 miles back she lost all the oil in her engine and blew up her engine (I think the bolt was lost, but cannot remember). She blamed me, but I didn't think that was fair. I'm not entirely sure what caused it, perhaps a slow drip leak, perhaps it rattled out, or perhaps sabotage. But I felt she was at least partly to blame b/c any attentive driver would or should notice oil pools under the car, or a drop in pressure or performance before the engine is destroyed... I also believed that if it was in fact my mistake, a problem would have or should have arisen or been observed long before the ~1500 miles she drove over 2 weeks. But I'll never know the real cause. I did end up repaying her for the full value of the car, regardless. Anyway, the lesson here is to be mindful of such things.

What stories can you share?

I have left the oil cap off after dumping in 5 quarts of oil... I have left the drain plug out and dumped in 2 quarts of oil...

But the worst was pushing my '68 Corvette Roadster to the side of the road after it ran outta gas.
The back tire, a 255x50x16 Comp TA, rolled onto my left foot. Luckily I pulled my foot outta the loose sneaker.
I broke a toe and damaged the foot bones. That was the end of our 10K races...
The doctors told me, "You have no idea how lucky you are. We see this all the time. It is usually a crushed foot, broken ankle, leg, etc."
I still cringe at the thought.

Oh, I forgot two minor examples.

4. Doing an oil change, lots of new oil bottles around, and somehow an old used oil got mixed in with the new ones. I just assumed it was a opened partial bottle when I grabbed it, and it did not occur that it was old oil from a previous drain. I put a few ounces of old oil right back into the vehicle! DOH... stupid mistake, thankfully of little consequence.

5. Last summer I bought a 2005 Mercury and a 2002 Ford, both Panther platforms of very similar design. I bought them for presumed shared commonality and parts. Not so... they have subtle differences. I did the Mercury oil change, by the book, looked up the numbers, etc. It takes 6 qts of oil. I then did the Ford and got lazy. I did not look at the manual, and just put the 6 qts of oil in. Thankfully I checked the dipsticks. The Ford was reading very high levels. I finally realized that the earlier Ford only has a 5 qt. capacity due to a smaller oil pan... So I had to loosen the drain bolt and slowly drain 1 qt. out... Lessons are again to always check your work, as they say, to measure twice and cut once.

I forgot the put the oil cap back on my wife's old Rav4. She complained that it smelled like vacuum cleaner and the engine was much louder with a lot of click-clack sounds. There was oil everywhere, especially down one of the sparkplug tubes. Despite all the oil thrown around it didn't amount to a lot of oil. Maybe 12 oz.

In the late 70’s my neighbor had the hood up on his mid seventies Monte Carlo and was steady working on it for several hours. I finally walked over and he was changing the fuel pump but couldn’t get the pump against the block to tighten the bolts. He could just get the pump bolts started enough to bend the rod a bit. I told him he needed to get a hacksaw blade and bend the end of it to get under the rod that rides on the cam so the pump arm could be pushed in and allow the pump to mount flush to the block. We had it mounted in just a few minutes and to this day we laugh about it when I see him.

Had a 84 Toyota Tercel and wanted to do the first oil change myself. Jacked it up and drained the manual gear oil thinking it was motor oil. Put the drain plug back in and then added 4 liters of oil. Next day on the drive to work the car was spitting smoke out the tailpipe like a James Bond car. Removed the air cleaner (car has a carburetor) and the bottom of the housing had oil. Brought it to the stealership and had them do the oil change and fill up the gear oil. Luckily the car didn't have any major damage.

Two come to mind, both on the MG.

Bleeding the clutch myself using a Mityvac, I was underneath staring up at the slave cylinder. Got it bled, but when I pulled the hose off the nipple, it flung a few drops of brake fluid into my eye. Ohh... That burns. Grabbed the bottle of brake fluid as I went into the house, flushing my eye under the sink while trying to read the label with the other eye. "in case of eye contact, seek medical attention immediately". Oh, great. Called the poison control center, they assured me that flushing with water for 15 minutes should be sufficient and I don't need to rush to the ER unless things get worse. That's what I get for not wearing safety goggles.

Second time was getting the water pump replaced, and got as far as bolting the radiator in, connecting all the hoses, filling with coolant, and then I happen to glance at the fan blade I neglected to bolt to the fan clutch. Nope, not enough room to slip it in between the radiator and the clutch, the radiator has to come out again.

Number 3 is why I normally don’t volunteer to do stuff for family members, they have to ask me then I say yes or no.

I’ve had a few mess ups and I’m not scared to admit that, everyone that has worked on cars has or will. I went to school with a guy who hooked up a battery backwards on a BMW on his first day of his first job and fried $6000 worth of electronics. The shop he was at fired him on the spot even though it was a mistake because the other tech had set the battery in wrong, now I will say be should of checked it but I guess he didn’t think about it. Now some of my screw ups mostly stripping spark plug holes. Done that a few times.

Also once I was working on my friends bronco and was leaning and cracked the extinct fan shroud he was ready to kill me and his dad had to come out to calm him down. Me and him are still good friends he was just having a bad day that day I went to the junkyard and got him another one and put it in.

The next one was at my first job and that was on a 2018 Chrysler 200 brand new getting an oil change (why the dude didn’t go to the dealership I don’t know) and we had one of those pit lifts and I lifted it without lifting blocks and destroyed the underskirts on both sides. You couldn’t even open the back doors and the front were very hard to open because the pressure had pushed them up so much. I got chewed for that one big time but it happens. The company paid the damages which I think was about $1200 or something like that because it was so new parts we not readily available for it is what the dealership said who he wanted to do the work could of been more than that I can’t remember.

Nothing crazy, thank goodness.

In a former life I had a Fox body 5.0 and I installed a Vortech supercharger on it. I was all excited to try it out and I forgot to tighten the fan nuts on the water pump pulley all the way. I got like 200 feet down the street and it was vibrating like crazy and punched like three holes in the radiator :LOL:

More recently I left the oil cap off my wife's Jeep one oil change and she drove it like that for months. I always wondered why it smelt like oil during that time :unsure:. Luckily it didn't make a mess.

No cracking open barley pops or BSing with bystanders until the drain plug is back in and proper amount of oil is back in.
I still adhere to this decades later after going through the massive labor intensive environmental clean up in Dad's driveway.
I still eyeball the plug multiple times to this day also LOL

Once did an oil change on the wrong car. It was in the shop for brakes. Work order got mixed up. Not exactly my fault but sh*it rolls downhill mighty fast. The o/c was gratis. Didn't beat the flat rate on that Jay o Bee. 🐝
The local Jeep dealership did this on my friend's '15 Jeep GC with the Turbo Diesel V6. They charge $70 for the filter alone (ripoff!!!).
I service her GC; she told them and got the charge reversed. She was made because I use Rotella T6 Synthetic; she thought they used bulk dino of some type. I dunno what they use.

I can tell you this, they did a lousy job. The oil drain plug had to be ratcheted out all the way; I thought it was cross threaded. Turns out cleaning it throughly did the trick. Any drain plug that I can't spin in by hand gets thrown out.

Forgot to put the oil cap back on the 70' VW Beetle. Made a little bit of a mess and it got wedged into the crank pulley and carved a groove in it. Wasn't too big of a deal.

Replaced the oil pan gasket on my Jeep, and the front 4 bolts are in aluminum and they stripped ridiculously easy. My mechanic friend put in heli-coils.

Recently changed the engine oil in my car. Jacked it up, drained oil, changed filter, lowered car, filled up oil. Realized I didn't put the drain plug back. Seven quarts of synthetic through the engine right into the drain pan. Back to the store to buy more oil.

I have 3 I'm going to humble myself in sharing, and maybe you can share yours as well for some education and good conversation.

1. I nearly lost EIGHT, yes EIGHT, fingers due to a stupid car design plus my stupidity. When I was a teenager, I was learning about cars and my mother got a new used car. I offered to do an oil change. I drove the car up on ramps and started the process. I opened the hood which was held up by hydraulic arms, removed oil cap, got under car and drained the oil. Then I realized the ONLY way to access the filter was thru the wheel well, with the wheel TURNED. So with the oil all drained, I didn't want to start the car so I opted to put in neutral and push down ramps. I put my hands on the exposed engine bay, and gave a good push and rode the car down the ramps as the jolt dropped the hood right onto my 8 fingers. I'm convinced the ONLY thing that saved my bruised fingers was the heavy pair of leather work gloves I miraculously had put on...

2. Last summer I did a spark plug change on my 4.0L Ford Explorer. I made 2 mistakes that probably damaged my manifold gasket that ultimately needed to be replaced. First mistake, is disconnecting ALL of the plug wires at the same time. Don't do that and if you must, label them. Second mistake, if you're not sure of the order, don't assume they are logical and sequential. This motor goes 1, 2, 3 on the passenger side, but 4, 6, 5 on the drivers side. I didn't expect that. When I turned it on, BANG. It misfired and caused an expensive repair.... So lesson is to do 1 plug/wire at a time. Or label them. Or if nothing else, double check the order.

3. I don't think this one was my fault, or at least shared fault with my sister. She had a cross country road trip coming up. I think an ex-boyfriend sabotaged her car, but here's the story. I knew she had a road trip and offered to change her oil. I did it correctly and installed a new pan gasket and tightened the bolt as usual. Her 10 year old son watched me to the oil change and confirmed this. She drove 1000 miles in one direction with no noticeable issues, drove around for a couple weeks, and then 500 miles back she lost all the oil in her engine and blew up her engine (I think the bolt was lost, but cannot remember). She blamed me, but I didn't think that was fair. I'm not entirely sure what caused it, perhaps a slow drip leak, perhaps it rattled out, or perhaps sabotage. But I felt she was at least partly to blame b/c any attentive driver would or should notice oil pools under the car, or a drop in pressure or performance before the engine is destroyed... I also believed that if it was in fact my mistake, a problem would have or should have arisen or been observed long before the ~1500 miles she drove over 2 weeks. But I'll never know the real cause. I did end up repaying her for the full value of the car, regardless. Anyway, the lesson here is to be mindful of such things.

What stories can you share?
It's too personal to relive.:cry:

As a young teen growing up on a farm, I had learned a lot by trial and mostly error on junk cars. About 45 years ago, fasten seat belt buzzers were very annoying and I thought I could remove it. I tried bypassing it with a paper clip and quickly discovered that I needed to learn how to work with electrical circuits. Fortunately, no damage. The wire became warm but it didn't blow a fuse.

I once installed a pair of McPherson strut shocks about 25+ years ago. Upon cleaning up the garage for a hard days work, I noticed 2 rubber boots hiding out of my sight the whole time. Well, I didn't installed it back, I put it on top of the work table as a souvenir of my idiocity. 👎🥴

Back