Share your computer build and specs

Crucial T700 First try..........

screen.jpg

Yeah no kidding. My 980 Pro 2TB barely hits 1.5GB/s in normal use. I have to benchmark it to get 7GB/s. I think these speed wars need to focus more on how fast they can get random 4k read/write rather than sequential, as 4k is FAR more impactful to everyday use.

Current Build -
MSI MPG X570 Wifi
Ryzen 9 5900X
32GB DDR4-3200
RTX 3080
1x 2TB NVMe, 1x 1TB NVMe
Full custom cooling loop.
You can’t tease us with “full custom cooling loop” and then not post pictures!

I just have a laptop at the moment… from 2016’ish? 17” Asus with a matte 1080p 75hz g-sync display, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia GTX 965m, 16gb DDR4 RAM and a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe. It’s enough to play Fallout New Vegas.

You can’t tease us with “full custom cooling loop” and then not post pictures!

I just have a laptop at the moment… from 2016’ish? 17” Asus with a matte 1080p 75hz g-sync display, Intel Core i7-6700HQ, Nvidia GTX 965m, 16gb DDR4 RAM and a Samsung 970 EVO NVMe. It’s enough to play Fallout New Vegas.
So let me preface this by saying I hate RGB lighting. I don't care what the system looks like as long as it performs well. So it's not a flashy system.

The coolant looks like pee I know, but I'm using 75/25 water/Zerex G-05 so yea. LOL

Attachments

• 20230513_015337.jpg
    20230513_015337.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 11
So let me preface this by saying I hate RGB lighting. I don't care what the system looks like as long as it performs well. So it's not a flashy system.

The coolant looks like pee I know, but I'm using 75/25 water/Zerex G-05 so yea. LOL
Looks like pee.

J/K - man that has to be the most impressive home PC cooling I've ever seen. My radiator just fan size.

Looks like pee.

J/K - man that has to be the most impressive home PC cooling I've ever seen. My radiator just fan size.
So my coworker and I both built our cooling loop at the same time. I've always been a proponent of using automotive coolant as pc coolant, and I had some left over. So we split the quarter gallon of 50/50 and diluted it down to 75/25. His immediate reaction was "I'm cooling my machine with pee...." LMAO.

I built this PC two years ago as a Christmas gift to myself. I originally used my MSI GTX 1050 Ti GAMING X 4G which was an upgrade in a n old pre-built I had. Last Christmas my brother-in-law gifted me his used RX 5700XT which is now starting to show its age, even on WoW. I'm looking to upgrade the GPU again but trying to decide what my best option is with the current prices.

Computer 2.jpg
Computer 3.jpg
My Computer 1.jpg
My Computer 4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was going to ask if any of you guys used an automotive coolant mix with success. I never built a custom water cooling loop system, but I often read that the coolant needs to be changed periodically because of algae growth when using coolants "engineered" for computers. I just though that it must be close to pure water and colorant for these coolnats to have algae.

I was going to ask if any of you guys used an automotive coolant mix with success. I never built a custom water cooling loop system, but I often read that the coolant needs to be changed periodically because of algae growth when using coolants "engineered" for computers. I just though that it must be close to pure water and colorant for these coolnats to have algae.
Plenty of people use pure water as coolant. But off the shelf coolants for computers vary widely in composition. I'm also using a mixed-metals loop with aluminum and copper ,which is a known bad combination. Luckily automotive coolant has plenty of corrosion inhibitors that drastically slow down the rate of reaction. Plus the antifreeze component is poisonous, so algae wont grow anyhow.

Plenty of people use pure water as coolant. But off the shelf coolants for computers vary widely in composition. I'm also using a mixed-metals loop with aluminum and copper ,which is a known bad combination. Luckily automotive coolant has plenty of corrosion inhibitors that drastically slow down the rate of reaction. Plus the antifreeze component is poisonous, so algae wont grow anyhow.

Interesting, I've never thought about using automotive coolant. How long do you go between changing the coolant?

Interesting, I've never thought about using automotive coolant. How long do you go between changing the coolant?
I've only been running this for a few months, so it hasn't gotten changed yet. I'll probably let it go a while. There's no reason in my mind that the coolant should really "wear out" in these systems when using auto coolant. The liquid is subjected to *FAR* less stress than it would be in a car, and we only change that every 5-10 years (or 100-150k miles, depending on your preference.)

I'll probably rebuild the system before the coolant wears out.

Back