Seven popular filters cut open

Lesson learned here is on MY application: makes NO difference which one you use for 5-10k mile intervals (all filters here have a minimum of 5k and max of 10k miles). These are all Motorcraft FL1A cross references used on a zillion Ford cars and trucks. Every last one looks like it could have gone much longer. The long interval ones (Boss, M1, Wix XP) were run 2 intervals. Prices I paid are as follows in the order of pics from left to right: STP extended life 8.99 AutoZone, Purolator Boss 9.49 Amazon, Wix 7.44 Amazon. Wix XP 6.77 Amazon, K&N Pro Series 7.12 Amazon, Bosch Premium 5.46 Amazon, Mobil 1 9.98 Walmart. I drive my vehicle all day for work which equates to oil changes about every 2 months or 5k miles . All of these are under 2 years old. Truck has 282k miles and runs like a top (things like fuel pump, water pump, coil pack and maintenance items etc have obviously been replaced as needed/scheduled along the way).

20200412_204014-1024x485.jpg

20200412_204024-1024x485.jpg

20200412_204047-1024x485.jpg

20200412_204504-1024x485.jpg

20200412_204535-1024x485.jpg

Also oils used were various Shell (PPHM/QSUD), Exxon/Mobil(EP/EPHM/AFE) and Valvoline full synthetics.

With all these filters

I think everybody would like more detail pics of each one.

Thanks for your post

Originally Posted by kstanf150
With all these filters

I think everybody would like more detail pics of each one.

Thanks for your post

Perhaps tomorrow I'll take individual detailed pics BUT they are so boringly normal there was nothing in particular to highlight.

Thanks for all the work!

Do any of the filters have media that feel cheap, thin, or that feel like it would tear easily?

You may not want to mess with it, but removing the media and flattening it out and measuring the overall length would effectively compare the filtering surface area of each filter media.

You can measure the pleat depth and length, and the number of pleats and then calculate the media area pretty closely. Much easier than cutting it out and measuring it.

As usual the BOSCH is the only one "with a string".

Why would the WIX and WIX-XP have internal differences? I thought it was just about the center tube.

Thanks for the C&P. What is your go to filter these days or do you just look for whatever is the best deal at the time?

IMO, I think you could run a Fram Ultra for 15-20K miles and just change the oil every 2 months.

Originally Posted by DallasCMT
Thanks for all the work!

Do any of the filters have media that feel cheap, thin, or that feel like it would tear easily?

None seemed cheap or fragile but the K&N is notably shorter than all the rest and the STP pleat depth is notably shallower than the others. Also the Bosch can was MUCH earlier too cut than most. I know it's made by Purolator but the can cut like butter compared to all the rest. Still nothing about any that would cause me not to use them if the price is right.

Originally Posted by JC1
Thanks for the C&P. What is your go to filter these days or do you just look for whatever is the best deal at the time?

IMO, I think you could run a Fram Ultra for 15-20K miles and just change the oil every 2 months.

Right now the Wix XP but ONLY because it's going for $6.77 and I can run it two intervals. I'm aware of the small particle inefficiency as well. I actually prefer the Purolator Boss BUT not at the $13 they go for now.
I am running the Fram Ultra cartridge filter in my Toyota 2.5L. I'll run basically anything except the economy filters.

Back