Setting cut depth on an angle grinder?

JHZR2

Staff member
I need to make some 1/2-1” deep, 36” long cuts in concrete. I’d like to use a diamond blade on an angle grinder, as I have no circular saw I want to throw at this.

is there a recommendation for a depth gauge of sorts to set the cut depth when using an angle grinder? Preferably for safety Ill have the shied in place.

I know there are mini circular saws that take a 4 1/2” blade. Maybe the. Eat bet is to buy a cheap and assume it will be ruined with cement dust...

but if there’s a cheaper/better way to do it, I’m all ears.
Maybe take a 1/2” piece of plywood and somehow slide the grinder on it to effectively set depth?

Perfection isn’t critical here.

Use the circular saw. I bought one for $3 at a thrift shop and cut a lot of stucco and even inches through sidewalk. It still works. The angle grinder that deep is a harder, less accurate, and slower way to do it. I spritz water on the cuts. Letting the diamonds do the cutting and using not too much force makes it go better too. Slow and steady wins the race here.

Use the circular saw. I bought one for $3 at a thrift shop and cut a lot of stucco and even inches through sidewalk. It still works. The angle grinder that deep is a harder, less accurate, and slower way to do it. I spritz water on the cuts. Letting the diamonds do the cutting and using not too much force makes it go better too. Slow and steady wins the race here.

good call. If I can quickly and easily find something used, I’ll run it, clean it, and donate it.

I would just buy a cheap circular saw with a diamond blade. Easier and safer to cut a line. I used one to cut control joints I green concrete. Check the pawn shops for a cheap working one.
Wear an n-95 if you can get one. Silica dust is no joke. Protect your lungs.

Diamond blade in a circular saw. Absolutely. Consistent, accurate depth control. Easy to maintain a straight line. Stable in use. It’s the best way to do it.

The concrete dust won’t be any harder on a circular saw than it will be on your angle grinder. Don’t worry about that.

But please go full-up respirator for your lungs.

In the end I tried a few things. I had a mid-way interference, so the circular saw wouldn’t work. Diamond cutting wheel on grinder kind of worked. HF of all places had a $8 safety shield with a settable, flat depth gauge, which would have almost worked, except the stupid thing doesn’t fit my Fein corded or Makita cordless grinder.

in the end I did the messiest/worst of all worlds, and ground off about 1” x 18” x 33” with a diamond cup and my Festool hepa vacuum. I wore a respirator, fwiw. Still have a mess everywhere, but I kept things wetted down, so it’s mainly a dust cake.

There was just no other way to safelynget it cut given the access. But it’s done now.

Back