Service a14 Honda pilot

I never had valves adjusted on my 07 MDX and it ran fine till 210k . I only did timing belt at 95k because dealer on slow snow day offered to perform change for $750 . I did plugs myself.

The 4.5 hrs + 1 hr for plugs and timing belt only(never changed on water pump on vehicle) is likely what I will do. I just need to call around.

I never had valves adjusted on my 07 MDX and it ran fine till 210k . I only did timing belt at 95k because dealer on slow snow day offered to perform change for $750 . I did plugs myself.

The 4.5 hrs + 1 hr for plugs and timing belt only(never changed on water pump on vehicle) is likely what I will do. I just need to call around.
Make sure you do the hydraulic tensioner. They are always leaking.

Attachments

• 50ECE1F1-6B1E-400B-B27E-D290A3EDD48A.jpeg
    50ECE1F1-6B1E-400B-B27E-D290A3EDD48A.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 27
Question: my son attends an university with an auto tech program. He is driving my old 2005 Pilot with 197k miles. It was getting close to timing belt time again so I had him put his name in with the program to get the belt/WP changed out. They got it done, and he came home last weekend and brought the box of used parts with him. Both the timing and serp belt looked good and the water pump looked ok. One thing he did say the students told him was when they were removing the water pump the Honda dealer where I had had it done before had ‘siliconed’ the water pump in place along with using the gasket. They told son according to book that wasnt to be done. Can anyone comment on that?

Question: my son attends an university with an auto tech program. He is driving my old 2005 Pilot with 197k miles. It was getting close to timing belt time again so I had him put his name in with the program to get the belt/WP changed out. They got it done, and he came home last weekend and brought the box of used parts with him. Both the timing and serp belt looked good and the water pump looked ok. One thing he did say the students told him was when they were removing the water pump the Honda dealer where I had had it done before had ‘siliconed’ the water pump in place along with using the gasket. They told son according to book that wasnt to be done. Can anyone comment on that?
Yes, there's no need to use any RTV on the water pump. It comes with its own o-ring that I've never really heard of leaking. Unless someone gouged up a surface getting the pump off, it should be unnecessary.

Well, did you ever get it done?
Still holding with 107k miles. I am swapping jobs soon and might need to do a on-site or hybrid work situation with commute and Pilot I have to weigh out $2000 in work + 21 MPG that is paid for vs something that achieves 38 MPG+.

Back