Serenity now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those of you who are experts in car repair, I envy you. That is one hobby I wish I would have learned more about in my past. Relying on somebody else to do car repair is a huge hassle - make that P.I.T.A - sometimes...

For the past 6 weeks, I've been trying to get the A/C in my wife's 2001 Cheorkee repaired. Round one was $300 and fixed the only known leak. But the system kept leaking refrigerant in an area we couldn't see. Back to the shop for mechanic to find leak. Can't find it yet. Bring it back. Probably in the evaporator coil. Bring it back because we want to be sure. Quote was $550 ($100 part and 8-9 hours labor to remove and re-install dash at $56/hour).

After eliminating pretty much all other possibilities, I dropped it off Thursday night to have the evap. coil replaced on Friday. Catalytic converter was stolen fron under car off the shop lot. (See post in general automotive section.) Insurance will pay for that. Okay, let's just get this A/C knocked out.

Took him longer than he thought so he kept it inside Friday night and finished it yesterday. About 2 in the afternoon, he called and said he was heading out but the Jeep was done, come get it. Went and got it only to find that Jeep is a mess inside AND THE JOB IS NOT DONE! The blower doesn't blow air into the cab. Not on A/C, not on defrost - nothing. It's like the controls aren't even hooked up.

Assuming the guy checked his work after he was done (any decent mechanic would...right?!), I hope the problem is a very small one. IS THERE ANY QUICK FIX THAT MIGHT SOLVE THIS PROBLEM? I did check fuses, it doesn't appear any of them are bad.

The good news is that I haven't paid the guy for any of the second round of work. He's a good guy but I'm beginning to wonder if it's time to find another mechanic, at least for big jobs. Loyalty can sometimes be a curse I think.

The last thing I want to do is make Trip #7. What would you guys do if you were in my spot?

Sorry for the long post. Venting is good. I'm beginning to wonder if a cooled, happy wife is worth all this.

Serenity now.

Sounds like A/C work is not this mechanic's forte. A competent A/C shop should have had you in and done on the same day, 1-3 days at most.

Betweeen this mess and your post about the converter being stolen, I'd say it's time to cut your losses and move on to another mechanic. It doesn't appear that there is anything special about this one's business.

Dang that's a /long/ time for A/C work. Took Acura an hour for my A/C last time, they had to redo some wiring that got sheered by the alternator belt...

Slightly different dash layout, but on my 1994 Jeep Cherokee, if I shoved my aftermarket stereo/CD player in w/out clearing some wiring out of the way, it would unplug the connector that powered the HVAC blower. I'd trace the wiring. Probably an easy fix.

Joel

The evap in that Jeep is a major undertaking. Book time is something like 8 hrs..........Realistically I would assume twice that long unless you did them every day.

Unfortunatly it's a very common problem with that model.

Something didn't get plugged back in or got pinched. This is the reason I no longer do these jobs.

Evap's are common on Chrysler products. Ive done a few myself and each one has been a PITA. At least his hourly rate is much cheaper than any dealership. And look on the bright side ive done evap & heater cores in Passat's that have ended up costing in the ball park of $1300-1500 so it could be much much worse considering what the job involves.

Sorry to hear of your troubles!

It's too bad that ease-of-maintenance doesn't doesn't seem to be part of the design strategy. Apart from business losses such might cause by decreased labor hours and part replacement rather than whole unit, perhaps designs aren't compatible with market desires - something like looks and fashion sense. I guess the days of own-it-for-life is slowly falling away, unless of course it take you a lifetime to payoff, even though some might abuse the system and claiming bankruptcy after investing over their heads.

I digress.

I tried to work miracles on my first vehicle - just about a total rework. Many days of walking/bicycling to work and bagged lunches. I learned a lot and even learned when to quit, but that took me quite some time and frustration.

Good luck, and take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back