Selling used pallets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody know what price used pallets can fetch selling them to pallet recyclers?

I have access to an 18 wheeler and a driver, so I am just wondering what sort of prices they seem to fetch. I would haul in a full load of decent quality pallets (53 foot trailer with 720 to 960 pallets).

As well, does anybody know who to call to sell them? I have phoned one pallet recycler but I get caught in [censored] on hold and eventually their system hangs up on me. I am thinking just phone pallet suppliers in the phone book to see who will take them.

Empty pallets strike me as the ultimate backhaul. Wonder why more don't make it back where they come from.

If I were you, I'd advertise on craigslist, you never know who wants them for a bonfire etc at perhaps above market price. I myself am looking for used 55 gal poly food grade barrells but have no idea where to get 'em.

Well, looking at the prices for them, $2 to $3 is going rate. New construction pallets sell for nearly $20, and the used resell after grading/repair for $8 to $10.

I found a place that will buy them, have a variety of people and equipment able to haul them for a share, and I know places are looking to get rid of them as spring cleaning.

A 80" by 16 foot trailer will haul 192, a 53 foot deck trailer will haul 800+. At $3 each, 192 pays $576 and it can be towed with a half ton.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Empty pallets strike me as the ultimate backhaul. Wonder why more don't make it back where they come from.

If I were you, I'd advertise on craigslist, you never know who wants them for a bonfire etc at perhaps above market price. I myself am looking for used 55 gal poly food grade barrells but have no idea where to get 'em.

For the food grade barrels call up a farm supply store, they should have some or know who does. We cut one in half for a pair of waterers.
I didn't know pallets were so cheap, I usually go on a late night pallet run every couple years and pick up ones that are easily accessible. Sort of stealing I guess, I should probably just buy them...

If any are "non-coniferous" pallets they are worth a bit more. You can't ship on pallets made of conifers to Europe and many other countries.
They will have a stamp like this
new-ht-stamp.jpg

Company I work for used to pay to have old/used pallets hauled off. Have since found someone that takes them for free.
What he does with them, I have no idea.

Honda ships some of their stuff on pallets made out a strange wood of which I cannot figure out the variety. They make excellent kindling, we call it "Japanese sparking wood".

My friend's family owns a pallet making factory, seems like such a mundane thing, but I guess someone has to make them.

Acuratech,
I've recieved a lot of Japanese stuff lately, and the timber looks like maple, and some of the compressed chip board (big chips, around 2" square) has a made in Canada logo on it.

Maybe Canadian Lumber is being back loaded to Japan ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back