self ballasted bulb problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured someone here would know the answer: I bought a self-ballasted mercury vapor bulb to try saving a memorial plant that is very important to me. It's a 100w bulb meant to be used for plants or animals needing UVA and UVB in addition to heat. My plant wasn't doing so hot with these shorter days and the halogen wasn't cutting it, but the results with this bulb have been fantastic. The downside is the heat this thing puts out has destroyed the desk lamp I've been using, despite the fact that it meets/exceeds the wattage rating of the bulb. It has a porcelain socket, but the wiring and switch are melting and I won't run this thing unattended anymore because of it. What kind of fixture will stand up to these bulbs?

My hardware store has a "heat lamp" thing with a metal reflector and spring clamp; it is meant for keeping baby chicken chicks warm with a red colored lamp but standard edison base socket. Surely a feed/grain store near you will have something.

Mercury vapor lamps put out some serious heat. You need a fixture better suited for it than a desk lamp.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
My hardware store has a "heat lamp" thing with a metal reflector and spring clamp; it is meant for keeping baby chicken chicks warm with a red colored lamp but standard edison base socket. Surely a feed/grain store near you will have something.
Found exactly what you described with a porcelain socket and heavy outdoor gauge cord rated at 300 watts incandescent, no switch to melt. This should fit the bill nicely, thanks guys. Now if I can just figure out where to hang this thing..........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back