Selenia star pure energy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Selenia StAR P.E. is good oil and just the same as K. Pure Energy that fiat is using in their new petrol cars. Your car needs ACEA C3, FIAT 9.55535-S2 specification so you can shop from other manufacturers too.

Selenia is the only brand that will carry the most up to day Fiat approvals which they like to change every 5 minutes. Definitely nothing wrong with it other than the price. I would switch to something more cost effective as soon as you are out of warranty.

Originally Posted By: riggaz
It's good, made by Petronas who bought Fiat Lubrificante from Fiat.

Petronas is just the parent company. Selenia does their own R&D, based in Turin, Italy.

Look at their domain name mate, flitalia.it

f=Fiat l=Lubrificante italia=Italy

Fiat Lubrificante was bought out by Petronas, just like i said.

Fiat Lubrificante/Petronas make Selenia.

To answer the OP's question: it's up to 92% HC
smile.gif

With such a bad base, reported sludge in the engines and high price in the end what is good about it apart from official Fiat approval?

Originally Posted By: Cuore_Sportivo
With such a bad base, reported sludge in the engines and high price in the end what is good about it apart from official Fiat approval?

99% of all today's synthetics are made with HC base oil and some PAO and Esters to boost low temperature pumpabilty. Nothing wrong with that. Group IV and V oils are mostly for racing, and majority of them don't carry manufacturer approvals simply because they are not intended for use that involves long drains.
I'm not saying that Star P.E. is good oil ( I've never tried it ), but it's not bad because of base oil used to make it.
You say those engines develop sludge. Sludge is a result of oil oxidation and thickening.

So if I'm not mistaking yours Super Fire has a 3 litre oil pan. Rediculusly small pan for a turbocharged engine. On top of that Fiat specified C3 /S2 oil in that engine. C3 oils are not nearly as strong as A3 oils, so if you are out of warranty you should try A3 with Fiats Z2 specification witch is full saps, long drain.
M1 0w40 comes to my mind ay first though.

Last edited:
Is the sludge problem only happening when using the Selenia oil?

Well, maybe not only. But after cleaning the engine and using Amsoil AZO 0W-30 the problem does not occur anymore.

not for the price anyway....

Total quartz ineo Mc-3 5w-40 claims to meet the correct spec, and it's in my car now. A lot better so far than the castrol edge fst turbo diesel it replaced, which carried the same specs. but it's only been 2000 km, but with only 1 dpf regen, would have had 3 at a minimum with the castrol....

Well, maybe not only. But after cleaning the engine and using Amsoil AZO 0W-30 the problem does not occur anymore.

This Amsoil meets A5/B5 spec, is low HT-HS oil allowed in your car?

Originally Posted By: chrisri

This Amsoil meets A5/B5 spec, is low HT-HS oil allowed in your car?

It isn't used in my car. I won't put anything else than ACEA C3 5W-40 in my Alfa
smile.gif

Just out of interest since your G is petrol could you use z2 specification with its stronger additive pack and higher TBN start?

I suppose that C3 is in the manufacturer's recommendations for a reason? It's a different oil that is specified for the diesel versions, but still C3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back