Seeking opinions!

Hermann

Site Donor 2023
Also there is no tax, but is shipped by Amazon.

I have had a bulletproof Acer Aspire for 4 years now. The upgrades over what I have are 11th Gen Core i3 vs 7th, Winbloze 11 vs 10, 128gig SSD drive vs 5400 RPM , and the biggie is the Full 1080p IPS display vs the current 768p screen. Has a total of 8 USB's IIRC.

Not a hard core PC user, so I am not looking for anything more powerful. Basically looking for opinions of what this is missing. Plan on upgrading the RAM to 8 gig

I am the world's foremost expert on my opinion, take it for what it's worth. :cool:

Windows 11 on 4GB RAM is going to be slow. Figure out if the laptop's RAM can be upgraded and plan on upgrading it to the max it will take, then it would be a reasonably good laptop.

That Acer apparently has a god awful screen. Not very bright and horrific color… 57.5-65% of sRGB. If all you’re doing is looking at text/paying bills on it then that doesn’t really matter, for anything else your cellphone will likely be better.

In addition, 128 SSD is too small. The operating system will take up a chunk of that. Upgrading the RAM to 8GB is reasonable but minimal in my opinion.
I can live with 128GB but I don't do anything other than listen to youtube videos and read some crazy motor oil forum on the internet. Heck, I think I have a thumb drive in the drawer that holds 256 GB. If I'm buying new today I try to forecast and predict my needs for tomorrow. I want one of those water cooled hard drives with a radiator and the fancy blue and yellow lights like they have on display at Microcenter. :)

IF all you are doing is basic motor oil forums, ;) I think the base specs are more then enough for most every day needs. The ram is a little low, I think 8GB should be the min, but 4GB and a ssd will still be an okay snappy ish system.

Make sure the ram is not soldered to the motherboard. If it is that might be the deal breaker then I'd say look for a system with 8GB. otherwise everything else checks out for a basic system
after OS install, you might be left with 100GB.

The i3 is an i3 (dual core times 2) so the CPU upgrade is mute. Upgrade to Win 11 is mute. If you're on a budget, upgrade your HDD to an SSD and add more memory to your existing computer for a lot less $.

If I was shopping for a laptop I wanted to keep for a while, I wouldn't buy anything with lower than an i-5, and anything less than 8GB of RAM. 16GB would be ideal, and old spinning HDD's are obsolete and out of the question, SSD is mandatory.

This is just from my experience deploying devices on an enterprise level. Win 10 and Win 11 are full of so much garbage that runs in the background, anything lower than the specs I listed and the computer will feel slow, and get slower with each update. It's just how it is unfortunately, since these operating systems now have so much running in the background in addition to any tasks you want to do.

For the price I think it's a great value. Full HD screen, i3 is powerful enough that it won't be laggy and it says there's a slot open available to add RAM, but if you're only using it to browse with a couple tabs open I'm not sure you need to. Even has an SSD.

My biggest concern is the S mode. You used to be able to take Windows out of S mode but I'm not sure if you still can.

Thanks for your feedback! Looked at this, as the Acer I am typing on right now has been perfect. Will probably keep looking. This is one of the few laptops I would consider in the just above Chromebook class. Most still have spinner hard drives, smaller screens, and after looking at a few Chromebooks at WalMart, my current Acer is made better.

Back