Seeking advice on buying a code reader with live data.

My budget is $200-450. I need a code reader/live data scanner to be able to troubleshoot and fix my 2007 Avalon. This is the only vehicle it will be used for. Either a Bluetooth + my phone/tablet OR in an outright tablet form.

I've tried BlueDriver. At $100 it does not offer live ABS, wheel speed sensor data 😕

There are so many of them out there is effin nuts! Just scrolling though Autel offerings in JUST ONE of their product lines made me dizzy 😵‍💫😵💫🌀🥴

Help me shortcut this issue 🙂 Thanks!

It is very difficult, you looking to do just one brand of cars??

I been wrestling with this myself and after watching lots of You Tube videos. The best idea is to get a communication cable to a laptop computer and down load/ buy the specific software for that manufacturer. This would not able give you live data but 2 way communication in which you can actually ask a sensor to turn on or off.

For instance for Ford cars you can down load For-scan, Volvo uses Vida, etc

It is very difficult, you looking to do just one brand of cars??
Just my car specifically: an 07 Avalon

The best idea is to get a communication cable to a laptop computer and down load/ buy the specific software for that manufacturer. This would not able give you live data but 2 way communication in which you can actually ask a sensor to turn on or off.

I looked briefly, Toyota scanning software license for 1 year is $1,395....

or the Walmart equivalent.

Is this a dummy that only reads generic codes and produces no valueable live data for subsystems? I've tried Blue Driver and at $100 it's lacking. This Autel is only $60...

The OBDlink LX is a very fast dongle, it's about $50 or more though. can be updated with their app which alone will read and log data but is limited to what they provide per car manufacture. Many cheap ELMs are junk and will not work well with whatever software you ae using. I use the Torque app, $5 an the Hyundai specific plug in, another $5.

But if you want to read other data such as TPMS or Airbags then you need something more upscale at around $150-$300 for a handheld.

Just my car specifically: an 07 Avalon

I looked briefly, Toyota scanning software license for 1 year is $1,395....

Is this a dummy that only reads generic codes and produces no valueable live data for subsystems? I've tried Blue Driver and at $100 it's lacking. This Autel is only $60...
No you can download 1 make and it reads everything their 808? Scanner does, but only for that one make.

look at Auto Enginuity. The basic scan tool is $269. You may or may not need the Toyota specific option which is $199.

Its bi-directional. Most non professional ones are not.

I have had AutoEnginuity for many years, with my first version being for a Palm Pilot.

It requires a laptop or phone.

You may want to look at this.

Shop the price, that is retail.
I have this scanner and have mixed feelings about it. Even though Innova's website says it will read air bag data on two cars with airbag lights on (2008 Ford Focus and 2010 Chevy Cobalt that I have scanned), The scanner never read or showed any air bag DTC's. My ThinkTool Pros scanner easily pulled up airbag codes on the Focus. I still haven't had a chance to try it on the Cobalt but I imagine it will pull the codes as well.

Updates for this scanner have only been updated since 2018 and Innova says it will not be available for updates until the 2019's and up have been out for three years which is the amount of time most vehicles have warranties for.

Look for "techstream cable" on ebay. That disc comes with what you're looking for. Just sayin'.

Requires 32 bit computer with win xp- win 7.

Thanks everyone! I ordered @Trav's suggestion. Found it on eBay "open box" or something for $180.

@Donald, very neat suggestion. It's about $500. If CarScan Pro 5610 doesn't work out, I think I'll go that route.

As to 32 bit computers and CDs - I don't such an outdated tech. My oldest laptop is from 2013 - Win 10 and no CD

Thanks everyone! I ordered @Trav's suggestion. Found it on eBay "open box" or something for $180.

@Donald, very neat suggestion. It's about $500. If CarScan Pro 5610 doesn't work out, I think I'll go that route.

As to 32 bit computers and CDs - I don't such an outdated tech. My oldest laptop is from 2013 - Win 10 and no CD
For $180 it's a good enough scanner and it's their second best scanner the have. Accessing their tech support has been very good and you get to talk to a real person so that is nice. I also have an older Craftsman version of Innova's 3140d which came with the OBD 1 connectors which also work with the 5610.

If you download the Repair Solutions 2 app on your phone, you can hook the scanner to the phone via bluetooth and get additional info and help on the codes you get.

The Car Care Nut, a Toyota Master Technician, has suggested these:

==========================

Carista has its place, too. They want to charge you for a day's access any time you want to do anything.

I forgot to mention that the 5610 does not come with the cable to hook the scanner to a computer for updates so you will have to buy one and also download the Repair Solutions2 onto your computer.

Back