Second incident at MIA in past seven days like this- I am seeing this regularly

CE the euro harmonizing agency … they have stamped the FFP2 mask and I was told LH looked for those two markings on the mask … so, I ordered a pack of these pre flight but then they accepted the medical mask …
Oh, good reminder. I am flying Austrian soon.

CE the euro harmonizing agency … they have stamped the FFP2 mask and I was told LH looked for those two markings on the mask … so, I ordered a pack of these pre flight but then they accepted the medical mask …
Were you flying to Europe? I think they banned cloth masks and said medical masks only. As I figured you were flying in the US, I would think US rules would apply so real ones would have FDA approval although I think the US is still pretty lax and allows cloth masks/gaiters although I'm not sure about airlines. I think they go up to FFP3. You can even get KN95's with FDA approval, the headband ones are better than earloop. There are probably some coupon codes floating around on slickdeals.net. 2021 takes 7% off.

Most of the masks I can find are medical style using similar materials, but they almost always say they're not meant for medical use.
Probably because they didn't go for FDA approval or some such certification although it's possible they were, they just didn't get any certifications. I did buy some masks in the US once that had ASTM level 2, but then later on, they got approved for ASTM level 3 so they just changed the labeling and discounted their old batch that had the old labels.

Last edited:
Were you flying to Europe? I think they banned cloth masks and said medical masks only. As I figured you were flying in the US, I would think US rules would apply so real ones would have FDA approval although I think the US is still pretty lax and allows cloth masks/gaiters although I'm not sure about airlines. I think they go up to FFP3. You can even get KN95's with FDA approval, the headband ones are better than earloop. There are probably some coupon codes floating around on slickdeals.net. 2021 takes 7% off.

Probably because they didn't go for FDA approval or some such certification although it's possible they were, they just didn't get any certifications. I did buy some masks in the US once that had ASTM level 2, but then later on, they got approved for ASTM level 3 so they just changed the labeling and discounted their old batch that had the old labels.
Yes, I had packs of 1.) KN95 2.) CE stamped FFP2 (based on fliers ahead of me) and the 3.) common medical mask we see everywhere. By the time my flight came along … airline was fine with the medical mask.

The sheer number of companies making them these days is staggering. I'm sure that most don't have medical equipment expertise, but the basics of making a melt-blown polypropylene mask with elastic is not that hard. We ordered some pricey ones last year and the insert said they were from some garment factory in China. At Costco there are a lot of brands, including one that comes from automaker BYD. They claim FDA approvals for some of their products, but I don't think they were making any before last year.

Not only that, there's a pretty decent chance that they won't be able to fly AAL again.

Most people are naturally fairly selfish, so it was only a matter of time before someone had a freak out on an airplane or in an airport. Frankly, I'm surprised we don't hear more about stuff like this occurring. I'm just surprised security didn't show up during that clip.

It happens everywhere now. The sad state of society. Now that everyone has a smartphone, the chances of such a incident being uploaded are high.

Several years ago we witnessed a fight in Seattle-Tacoma in the baggage claim. After traveling through Japan and Korea we both said to each other, we are home now.

The sheer number of companies making them these days is staggering. I'm sure that most don't have medical equipment expertise, but the basics of making a melt-blown polypropylene mask with elastic is not that hard. We ordered some pricey ones last year and the insert said they were from some garment factory in China. At Costco there are a lot of brands, including one that comes from automaker BYD. They claim FDA approvals for some of their products, but I don't think they were making any before last year.
You can go online and check to see if they really have FDA approval. But that might not mean anything if you get them randomly from some place, some places are counterfeiting the real ones. The Powecom I listed earlier have a QR code on the bags so you can check to see if they're the real thing.

The Canadian government is suing a supplier of supposed N-95 masks that allegedly did not meet the required spec. Also, Atlas Grainger, my usual supplier of 3M N-95 masks still has no stock. I guess this issue will be alleviated later this year.

Last edited:
It happens everywhere now. The sad state of society. Now that everyone has a smartphone, the chances of such a incident being uploaded are high.

Several years ago we witnessed a fight in Seattle-Tacoma in the baggage claim. After traveling through Japan and Korea we both said to each other, we are home now.
The question is whether we have more incidents or we just know now about them bcs. phones?
For example, there is widespread thinking that terrorist activity in Europe has never been worse. But when you compare it to 70's, it is actually not even close. It is just that we have 24/7 news cycle available to use at the palm of our hands, and available pretty much instantly.

The question is whether we have more incidents or we just know now about them bcs. phones?
For example, there is widespread thinking that terrorist activity in Europe has never been worse. But when you compare it to 70's, it is actually not even close. It is just that we have 24/7 news cycle available to use at the palm of our hands, and available pretty much instantly.
I think it has to do with the phones in our hands. Everything that happens seems to make it on social media or news outlets. I started my career flying before smartphones were big. Incidents have always happened. Mostly drunk or unruly passengers in my experience. I felt horrible kicking off a family headed to Disney for vacation because dad was drunk and threatening my cabin crew because they wouldn't serve him before take off. Sorry not sorry, safety first.

I think it has to do with the phones in our hands. Everything that happens seems to make it on social media or news outlets. I started my career flying before smartphones were big. Incidents have always happened. Mostly drunk or unruly passengers in my experience. I felt horrible kicking off a family headed to Disney for vacation because dad was drunk and threatening my cabin crew because they wouldn't serve him before take off. Sorry not sorry, safety first.
Yeah, Mom should rethink that relationship.

Those passengers had to acknowledge and agree to current TSA and AAL policies both when they bought the tickets and again when they checked in.

Pretty simple: If you don’t honor the agreement into which you entered, then, you don’t get to fly.

My crew had to explain this to a few folks boarding in FLL this afternoon. Your state’s rule change doesn’t apply on my airplane. Simple choice: follow the policy, or get off.
Riding on Delta yesterday out of Atlanta, I observed a female passenger acting up on taxi out. The flight crew all got up, encircled her as we were rolling along, and solved the problem. I'm not quite sure what was said, but the show of force and the words said did sooth the savage beast. The flight continued without incident.

I had a bit of concern, as the angry passenger had more than sufficient support onboard. I'm an old man in poor health now, and I'm absolutely not up for a fight. I would not even be able to help in some way. I really don't like the feeling of being so defenseless. It may be time to avoid airline travel.

I completely support Delta’s CEO intention to ban any rude or disruptive passenger from ever flying Delta again. I hope other major airlines will follow Delta’s lead.

I have zero tolerance for this behavior.

There’s Ed, out in front again...

Bravely articulating a zero tolerance policy six weeks after the FAA Administrator stated a zero tolerance policy for unruly passengers...

😏

There’s Ed, out in front again...

Bravely articulating a zero tolerance policy six weeks after the FAA Administrator stated a zero tolerance policy for unruly passengers...

😏

It’s always good to reiterate something especially if people don’t pay attention to FAA edicts like they should.

It is also a sad commentary when you have to tell adults to sit down and be civil. This doesn’t get taught anymore at the earlier ages.

Remember when the folks would say to stop it or they would turn the car around and go home? Now it has to be told again for airline passengers.

It is nothing more than disrespect for other people.

If you want to see a mid air fight, put an "h" before the link to make it work.

ttps://twitter.com/i/web/status/1395938037419450372

It is an achievement of how ignorant people are.
They immediately start talking constitution and they have not seen one on TV, let alone read it. Basic rule: it is a two-way street!

That is true...

"A supposed two way street".

I wonder if a business restaurant or hotel would not serve certain groups of customers... If that would be permitted.

It's their business... Right?

Or... Is that wrong?

Candidly... I believe those businesses that would want to deny people a place to stay or food at a restaurant.... To be in the wrong in a number of ways. Including... In regards to the law of the land.

Last edited:
That is true...

"A supposed two way street".

I wonder if a business restaurant or hotel would not serve certain groups of customers... If that would be permitted.

It's their business... Right?

Or... Is that wrong?

Candidly... I believe those businesses that would want to deny people a place to stay or food at a restaurant.... To be in the wrong in a number of ways. Including... In regards to the law of the land.
Depends whether that policy is contrary to positive laws. Airline companies have their policies in line with laws that already passed (long time ago) constitutional muster test, if there was any. Also, in this case, passengers bought a ticket. That means they agreed to airline policy. The airline didn’t refuse to serve them. Airline said it will provide services and passengers already agreed to terms and conditions set up by FAA and airline.

On a previous flight … my colleagues had a round and round about KN95 -vs- CE approved masks … and there were endless (face to face) debates in the cabin about passengers not having an approved mask.
Now, they accept the medical mask …
The problem with KN95 is there are a huge number of fakes out there - companies you've never heard of and counterfeits. They were allowed under the emergency use order but there was a specific list of approved manufactures that were hard to find or super expensive. At this point, I can buy N95s from a US manufacturer for under $1 per mask.

Back