Second Batch of Kraut - Underway!!

IMG_7266.jpeg

I have one of those crocks from Germany and used to make a Lot of kraut, then I'd can it. It tasted good but I think canning kills the probiotics. So now I've been doing mine the easy way. In quart jars. That gives me the amount I'll eat while I have another few fermenting. When I'm really lazy I buy raw cole slaw in a package instead of cutting cabbage. LOL

I have one of those crocks from Germany and used to make a Lot of kraut, then I'd can it. It tasted good but I think canning kills the probiotics. So now I've been doing mine the easy way. In quart jars. That gives me the amount I'll eat while I have another few fermenting. When I'm really lazy I buy raw cole slaw in a package instead of cutting cabbage. LOL
Yeah, my wife only nibbles a little bit. My last jar gonna be quite ripe I'm thinking.

I started this batch Feb 21.
In the jar (jarred?) on March 1. This seemed early but it smelled and tasted like kraut, immature but good. Did not want to leave in crock when we headed to eh Canada eh.

Today is March 9. Holy mother of GAWD. This now is the best kraut I have ever tasted. I am unsure what went on the last nine days, but it is so tasty. Smooth, but sharp enough. Just the right stink. I hope the rest holds up.

I thought buying the crock was going to be a crock, but when my last jar is cracked open, or a little before - new batch will begin.

Don't even believe a recipe with 2.5% salt. That's too much! I might just hold at 2% by weight. I will try more spices as I stated. But the mustard seed and caraway seed flavor is pretty awesome.

I have 2 batches going right now. The first has apple in it. Coming up on 6 weeks and I'll give it a try. I can't wait to taste it. I've had good luck with apple in the past. The second batch has onions and garlic. I'm going to go 8 weeks on that one

I have 2 batches going right now. The first has apple in it. Coming up on 6 weeks and I'll give it a try. I can't wait to taste it. I've had good luck with apple in the past. The second batch has onions and garlic. I'm going to go 8 weeks on that one
Do the apple sugars go to alcohol? Or finish as acetic acid ?

4.2 kilos of chopped cabbage in a 2 gallon crock IS possible.

Phew. I will say there is something oddly rewarding chopping $19 worth of clean nice organic cabbage. Yeah no kidding. Why I went to hippie co-op yah never know.

2% salt this time. 2.5% was just a har salty. Generous mustard and caraway seeds.
Doesn't it bubble and ferment making the kitchen smell terrible? How long does a batch take?

Doesn't it bubble and ferment making the kitchen smell terrible? How long does a batch take?
Ferments in a cool dark place, kitchen is not ideal, but no stink at all and not a ton gas bubbles. Takes around 2 weeks.

It smells normal in the crock (not much smell really). In the jar after a month, a little appetizingly ripe, but not bad.

Unfortunately, my apple kraut has gone bad. When I looked at the jar this weekend, there was mold inside. ugh

On a positive note, my other jar with garlic came out....POTENT...wow I never did garlic in kraut before and it is not for the faint of heart LOL

Fantastic - we used to help my mom make that and dill pickles every year (we are hCzech) - they grew everything too …
Here comes the healthy part; she’d take bacon grease and flour and turn the kraut into a creamy dish ! Wow, was it good …
Of course served with a couple links dad would smoke 💨

Last edited:
Unfortunately, my apple kraut has gone bad. When I looked at the jar this weekend, there was mold inside. ugh

On a positive note, my other jar with garlic came out....POTENT...wow I never did garlic in kraut before and it is not for the faint of heart LOL
Yeah that was one of my worries.....if the lactic acid bacteria doesn't get going stat (and typically they can be slow) the juices won't be acid enough, soon enough so either the apple does a yeast ferment or mold takes off (yeah I know they are both fungi)

Maybe soak apples in ACV first or dip them in salt by themselves or both................I dunno just hucking that out there.

Thank goodness none of this will actually kill us. Soon.

Fantastic - we used to help my mom make that and dill pickles every year (we are hCzech) - they grew everything too …
Here comes the healthy part; she’d take bacon grease and flour and turn the kraut into a creamy dish ! Wow, was it good …
Of course served with a couple links dad would smoke 💨

My grandparents did this too. You’re making me hungry now 😛😛

Tonight I was forced to dump the 1/2 qt that was left of my garlic kraut. It was just too overwhelming in the fridge.
Basically, it stunk :LOL:

So I just started some normal Kraut minus the garlic (y)

Back