Sears Sales (Points for Future Use) - Anyone?

Originally Posted by eljefino
So if I had $25 coming into my account in three installments, what is a good commodity that I could get anywhere that's the same price at sears? Laundry detergent? One tire at a time? I wish they had a gas station, or maybe gift cards to amazon.
lol.gif

Are there multiple strings attached like I can't spend points on "super sales"?

If I didn't know better, I'd say this was a desperate way to raise capital.
whistle.gif

Only thing that would be crazier is if they started selling their own gift cards at a discount.

I used to buy Sears gift cards off ebay from SVM or Gift Card Mall at a 10 or 20 percent discount and buy Amazon, HD or Lowes cards with them. Always baffled me they would let that go on. Don't think it worked with points though.

Originally Posted by PimTac
With Sears getting ready to go Chapter 11 I would use those points by tomorrow if it's not too late already.

It's dead Jim.

https://youtu.be/3at_Ev2kOoI

The points I've earned were over multiple months, so the points don't come in all at once every month. I won't earn all of my points back until next May, though the majority of them will be accrued by the end of the year (not all of the points will be divied up over 12 months - some split up the points accrual over a little as three months).

As soon as I earn enough points to buy something on my wish list, I buy it.

Just today $55 in points populated to my account. Time to buy the extra parts for the air compressor I got from them that I have in the cart - blow gun kit, air tool oil, and tire inflator with gage, all Craftsman. OR, I could wait another week for more points to accrue and purchase the air hose-reel I have in my cart...

Edit: I purchased the former, instead of waiting (air tool parts) --> Total Due: $0.00, with $10.87 leftover in points.

Last edited:
No gift cards - just points. I just spent everything that just populated in my account yesterday. I might even spend the leftover $11, instead of waiting for more to populate...

...Fingers crossed for the rest of the year

Consolidated update:

So far, I've purchased the following with points (either free or discounted, with negligible or no points given back to me for purchase):
1. 50' Craftsman Garden Hose: "free" ("free" henceforth be listed as free, without quotation)
2. Craftsman 22" 22oz Hatchet and 20" Bent-Handle Snow Shovel: $1.66 (after points used)
3. 65 gal Compost Bin: free
4. Craftsman Locking Pliers 3-pack: free
5. Rib Rack (for grilling): free
6. Sidewalk HD Ice Chopper; Grill Brush; and Two Stone Grill Cleaning Blocks: free
7. 6 gal Craftsman Pancake Compressor: $49.64
8. 5-pack Hanes Undies: free
9. 3-piece Craftsman Breaker Bars: free
10. 100-pack Stanley Box Cutter Blades; and 1-gal Gas Container: free
11. X2 Craftsmen Magnetic Tray: free
12. X2 Safavieh Clayton Rocking Chairs: ~$100 (after points used)
13. B&S Surface Cleaner Power Washer Attachment: free

Recent Purchases (points for future use included):

1. Bowflex SelectTech 552 Dumbells: $200.69 ($200 in points)
-----STILL out-of-stock, with no date it will be in-stock. Chatting with the Sears rep.: he pushed heavily for me to cancel the order and then re-order with a future promotion...I said I'd have a little more patience with this order...
2. Craftsman ProSeries 28" Mower: $697.45 ($400 in points)
-----Received: mower works great!
3. Craftsman 6" Bench Vise: $75 ($75 in points)
-----Seems solid - time will tell
4. Quick-change blow-gun kit: free
5. Tire inflator w/ gauge: free
6. Air-tool oil: free
7. 7-piece deep-socket impact set: free
8. 28" Stanley tool box: free

After some more points populated today, I now have remaining (after the latest purchases): $4.74

Bowflex dumbbells came in yesterday - woohoo! Now I just need to find the motivation to actually use them...or do anything, for that matter!

I updated my spread sheet and here's how I've actually done so far:

Total Paid for Purchases: $2111.86
Points Earned: $1792.97
Points Used: $872.89
Points Remaining: $920.08

Update (used more points; corrected a mistake in my "points earned" column):

Points Earned: $1694.54
Points Used: $971.32
Points Remaining: $723.22

If Sears makes it to the 20th of this month, I'll have $212.10 in points to spend.

That'll cover a small twin mattress for our day bed, as well as the Craftsman creeper seat I've been wanting.

I doubt anyone's still reading this, so I'm doing this more for myself, to document my last experiences with Sears.

My store is closing. They only offered 10% off of most tools when we stopped by this afternoon, but that was enough to make the Craftsman creeper seat free with points. I'll use this while working on the car and while the wife gives me haircuts (she's gotten better, and now does an amazing job!)
29.gif

27.gif

Points Used: $999.21
Points Remaining: $695.33

If Sears makes it to the 20th of this month (seems likely), I'll have $184.21 in points to spend.

A couple of weeks ago they announced that the last store in my area was closing. I saw it coming a long long time ago.

In fact, both stores here were in malls. The mall traffic is way down. A lot of stores are closed. Only a handful had any meaningful business. The Apple Store is always full.

My local Sears just put up signs for store closing. They were packed when we went yesterday (Saturday). We spent 20 minutes perusing the store (me, mostly in the hardware section), and the check-out lines were 3-15 people deep the whole time! We then walked through the mall to burn some time and, when we came back through Sears, it was still just as packed an hour later.

I'm hoping I can use my points to get some great deals before they finally close shop, since points can be used in-store, and deals will be better than online; online, every item I check (probably 100s of items now) shows ZERO availability for pick-up at my local store!!!

After this store closes, the nearest will be 45 minutes away.

//

I heard at least 3 groups of people discussing how much they liked Sears and were sad to see them go. I have a feeling that these same people never supported them in the past, and were only there yesterday for the 40% off deals, which still don't really seem like deals to me...

I'm going to have to go by Sears and see if they have any deals on tools. A lot of the stuff in the store is from when they were still making stuff in the USA

Our Sears appliance store is staying open. They are the major appliance store in town since the Whirlpool store closed. Hated to see Whirlpool close since they had a very good repair guy.Had been in business a long time. ???

Originally Posted by hatt
I'm going to have to go by Sears and see if they have any deals on tools. A lot of the stuff in the store is from when they were still making stuff in the USA

If you can truly find some USA-made Craftsman tools (I didn't realize any Sears still sold any), then that sounds like a great idea. All of the tools at my Sears are still only 10% off, so that's a no-go for me.

My local Sears is a 5 minute detour from my drive home, so I plan to stop at least weekly to keep tabs on inventory and sales. Like I said, I hope that I can get some really good stuff when my points populate, which occurs on the 15th ($89.35), 18th ($67.76) and the 20th ($25.25).

Originally Posted by Yah-Tah-Hey
Our Sears appliance store is staying open. They are the major appliance store in town since the Whirlpool store closed. Hated to see Whirlpool close since they had a very good repair guy.Had been in business a long time. ???

I wonder why that Whirlpool guy didn't obtain employment through the Sears appliance store. That would have been great for you.

I've heard of some of the Sears retailers closing, with their automotive service department staying open, since it was still making money. I'm not sure if that's the case with my local Sears. I don't use them, so it won't affect me at all. If both close at the same time, it will prevent me from buying a Diehard battery from them, should I need it before they finally go under.

My '14 FXT has its original battery, with 5 years and 64k miles on it. We'll see how it does this winter.

Another update, after more points have populated to my account!

Points Used: $1135.98
Points Remaining: $558.56

I used points for the following since my last list update, all "free":

1. Creeper Seat: $27.89

2. Utility knife X2: $7.30

3. Blow Gun Kit: $5.84

4. 9" Torpedo Level X2: $6.46

5. 50' 16/3 outdoor Ext Cord: $8.20

6. Air Compressor Accessory Kit: $16.00

7. Circular Saw: $39.99

8. Nail Puller: $20.99

9. Body Clip Pliers: $14.36

10. Air Hose Nozzles: $5.65

11. Pickup/Grabber Tool X2: $11.98

Not everything was offered with free shipping and, since my local store is closing, none of it was available for in-store pickup near me. Luckily, I've got family in Boston, where there's a local store that's staying open; I sent ~ 3/4 of the above orders there, for family to pickup.

//

I've been checking out the "deals" at my local store every week, and they're still terrible.

Example: they wouldn't sell me the floor model of a bench grinder for less than the listed price, minus the store-closing discount of 20%...it's 21% off online, with free shipping...

I asked to speak to the manager and was told that they were explicitly directed not to alter any prices for anything, including floor models. I insisted on speaking with the manager to discuss this and was adamantly told by the two sales clerks that I was seriously wasting my time...so, I left.

I was going to start buy offering $75 for the floor model, since it looks to be in like-new condition. We'll see how things go as the store nears closing - slated for the end of the year, supposedly. To-date, the only thing I've purchased from them, in-store, is the creeper seat, since it was the same price as online (10% off) and I got to take it home that day.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Sears will close shortly after Xmas... so will JC Penny.

Its good you have so many points to use.

Not all of them will be closed down by the end of the year, though mine sure will!

I can't tell if your second sentence is sarcastic or not. Like I've said previously, I'll feel like I did well if I can get through one more month (another ~$140.) If I can use ALL of my remaining points, I'll be super happy.

Made it into Sears. It was a waste of time. Full Sears retail with 10-20% off on most things. No thanks.

Originally Posted by hatt
Made it into Sears. It was a waste of time. Full Sears retail with 10-20% off on most things. No thanks.

Exactly. What gets me, is how many people are buying stuff for these apparent non-deals!

I'm hoping that I'll find some steals closer to the final closing date...I doubt it, though.

Back