Sears closing more stores before christmas??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sears has not changed to embrace new buyers.. same old stores.. barely any different from 20 years ago.. Stores who dont adapt unfortunately fail. Sears has been very poor at adapting.. I think they should dump all their kmart stores and invest more in their current stores to try to be more competitive with the WM and Targets. Im 32 years old and every time I go to Sears, I find most stuff overpriced and of average or below quality. Obviously it depends, but besides my folks who are in their 70's who shop there... I dont typically see many young people in their stores.

Last edited:
The hand tool warranty hasn't really changed. Where did the people who are claiming that get their info?

I actually wish Sears had changed the warranty long ago to exempt things like rust and abuse.

Craftsman, Kenmore and Die Hard will live on, most likely. They're the most valuable part of Sears.

Now, will the new owners of Craftsman honor the old warranty? That's the question.

Sears has been going down the tubes for years. By years I mean decades. Say the 1980's.

Factors:

1. Consumer credit. I recall as a kid browsing the Sears catalog and every item had an amount it would cost per month if you charged it on your Sears Card. How many people have a Sears card today with all the credit options out there.

I don't think Sears owns Discover Card anymore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Discover_Card

2. Death of the catalog. Many catalog retailers are out of business. Montgomery Ward, Dolgins, Aldens, and many more are no longer in business.

3. Death of B&M retail. With Amazon and others, it's hard to run a traditional store in light of that competition. Part of it is simply the disparity some online retailers have, not needing to charge sales tax, compared to shopping at the mall.

When I was a kid, state sales tax was 5 percent. Today, if you shop in our local mall, it's closer to 10 percent as they have some extra tax kicker to help pay for the TIF used to build some of the out parcel stores.

Why would I go to the mall when I can order on line for either no sales tax or the state tax of 6.25 percent and free shipping?

Sears and others are not nimble enough to exist in their current form with so many competitors out there.

What is happening with Sears is a reflection of our society. A professor explained it to me. When we had a strong middle class, stores that catered to the middle class, such as Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward, thrived. Now these stores are in the dumps, and the stores that are thriving are the high end and low end stores (e.g., Target, Macys).

Drove past a closing rural Sears department store. I stopped out of curiosity. Talk about still over-priced. All that was reasonable was the Sta-Bil at $6/bottle. Later went to a Sears Outlet in Syracuse that was doing okay business. Lots of scratch/dent appliances on sale, some for screaming deals. No hype, no glitz, but folks were buying.

I went into Sears the other day cuz I hadn't been in one for years..to see if anything had changed in the face of these closures, nope...and it looks like the main clientele are older people 60+...and the styles of the clothes reflected it.

We have the Sears Christmas WishBook that we get for the kids each year. They look through it to get ideas for toys. Then we promptly go somewhere else...anywhere else to get it cheaper. You order from Sears up here and its shipping on every item sometimes greater than the item itself, no shipping freebies.

It's time to cash in your chips and go home Sears. Hello Amazon.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
What is happening with Sears is a reflection of our society. A professor explained it to me. When we had a strong middle class, stores that catered to the middle class, such as Sears, JC Penny, and Montgomery Ward, thrived. Now these stores are in the dumps, and the stores that are thriving are the high end and low end stores (e.g., Target, Macys).

Exactly, the middle class as we know it will all but be gone in the next few decades, get ready for Brazil north!

Actually many elite actively WANT our country to mirror that
so called nation. LOL That is the result of the complete
tyranny we face now with the leadership of this country.

What's happened at Sears is that a hedge fund manager is the boss and knows nothing about retail nor management.

Everyone who works for him is doing whatever they need to to keep their jobs. Thus you have a web strategy that includes an attempt at creating a social media environment, a promotional and points strategy that has become it's own monster, while the basics of retailing (merchandising, inventory) have gone out of the window (and which would not happen if management were actual retail veterans and went and visited their own stores).

Perhaps your professor was right but I'd say there is another analogy here which is hedge fund managers are running the country as well as Sears.

Your professor was incredibly wrong.

Sears was doing reasonably well until Eddie Lampert and Kmart took them over in 2004 and formed Sears Holding. Lampert had zero retail experience, and the new company was simply to big, the two companies were too different, and to unwieldy to successfully merge into one.

Then Lampert divided the company into about 30 individual business units, each competing with each other, each with it's own layers of management, and each with it's own profit and loss issues. The company literally went to war with itself. The company turned into a noxious business and employment atmosphere; rather than work toward overall success, employees quit, were fired, and had no incentive or vested interest in the success of the organization. Customer service became substandard in virtually all of the business units, and the management team did nothing to counter the substandard performance.

Then to top it off Lampert went on a stock buy back spree between 2005 and 2011, buying back over $6 billion worth of stock. During that time the investments in store upgrades were minimal, and Sears became a dingy, tattered remnant of its former self. During that time customer habits changed, and Sears/Kmart never kept up with the changes. Combine everything together, and you have a business model that simply doesn't work, and management that continues to make all the wrong decisions.

Sears downfall had nothing to do with some oddly skewed revelation by an incompetent professor.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Disclaimer: this post does not mean POP_RIVET's grammar and spelling standards... and was typed on my cell phone.

Interesting. Imagine how bad it would be if you didn't have the cell phone helping you. Have you considered some remedial education? I understand there are some very good adult continuing education classes available in many public school systems.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
...and the new company was simply to big...

Originally Posted By: Rand

Disclaimer: this post does not mean POP_RIVET's grammar and spelling standards... and was typed on my cell phone.

Interesting. Imagine how bad it would be if you didn't have the cell phone helping you. Have you considered some remedial education? I understand there are some very good adult continuing education classes available in many public school systems.

Interesting.

Make sure you learn the definition of condescending.

The Sears in the local mall here in Appleton only serves one purpose to me - it provides great rock star parking because it's small lot on the side of the building is always empty. It sure beats trying to park at the mall main entrance and fighting others for good spots.

Plus I get a good chuckle when we walk past the ancient Castrol Syntec 5W-50 SL quart bottles they are trying to sell for >$9.

Sears was doing reasonably well until Eddie Lampert and Kmart took them over in 2004 and formed Sears Holding. Lampert had zero retail experience, and the new company was simply to big, the two companies were too different, and to unwieldy to successfully merge into one.

LOL! Even the grammar police make mistakes.
smile.gif

Edit: I posted this before I saw JHZR2's post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: spasm3

Make sure you learn the definition of condescending.

Learn? Pop has a PhD in it.

^
crackmeup2.gif
Would that make him "Pop_Rivit PhCD"?

I saw the spelling errors when I first read it but didn't think anything of them (I suppose I've learnt to put up with poor spelling on the internet in general and hence this site too).

But now I think about it, perhaps it was intentional to see who was paying attention?

For example, it is "unwieldy" not "unwieldly". Sorry oldmaninsc!

Originally Posted By: aa1986

For example, it is "unwieldy" not "unwieldly". Sorry oldmaninsc!

??? I wasn't referring to "unwieldy."

I was referring to his use of the word "to" instead of "too"

For example: "So the books that you read shouldn't be too unwieldy in weight, nor contain particularly tight typesetting or small font size."

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/unwieldy

Last edited:
My apologies. You had put "unwieldy" in bold as well as "to".

Having said that you also put "big" in bold so I should have realized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back