Seafoam Best in Gas or Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read of people putting it in both places. I have Seafoam in my trans, AutoRX in my engine, and Lucas Fuel Treatment in my gas. Is it worthwhile to put Seafoam in the gas?

I noticed carbon on the back of the valves and some carbon in the ports when I had the exhaust manifold off recently. What is best to cure this?

Thanks,

Philip Bradley

I put a bunch of Seafoam in my oil about 2000 miles before my next oil change, and bit too much LC in about 800 miles later. My UOA on that oil came back with copper and lead (from bearings) reading 3 times the universal averages! My next UOA had very good lead and copper levels.

Since other people made the same mistake I did with the LC, and not had huge lead or copper readings, I figure that the bearing wear came from having the Seafoam in the oil.

I recommend not putting Seafoam in the oil, and if you do, not leaving it in there for very long.

I have used gm top engine cleaner with success in the past on a carburated engine. I dont know how you might use this on modern FI engine, or if you can safely. They have a aerosol version now, part# 1052626. I dont no if you can still get the liquid version or not part# 1050002. You use it by dumping or spraying the product in the engine while running and its suppose to do an amazing job of cleaning the combustion chamber and piston rings. You are advised to put new spark plugs in and do an oil change after the process according to the instructions.

I administer SeaFoam into the intake through a vacuum line that enters just in front of the TB of my car; gives the TB a good cleaning too. I've never opened up my engine to see if there was any carbon deposit reduction, I'm going simply on blind faith. I do this when I do my oil changes, I split one can between two cars.

The PCV or brake booster induction cleans the intake pretty good. In the gas will help clean the injectors, but in the oil will just dilute and thin the oil out.

How much would you put through the brake booster or pcv intake hose into the intake manifold on a 2.3L 4 cylinder and how fast would you put it in?

Thanks,

Philip Bradley

I pour it slowly with a funnel connected to the port with some Tygon tubing. I pour it so that the engine kinda stumbles a little but doesn't die. I pour in the last couple of mLs quickly to kill the engine and let it soak. I let it sit for about 30 min. before taking the car out for a spin. When I first accelerate, I get the cloud of white smoke (I think some of the SeaFoam pools up in the intake tract and gets sucked in at once). I drive for a couple of miles to completely purge all the residual SeaFoam before I then do my oil change.

i really dont think youre supposed to leave Seafoam in your oil for what for many ppl is one OCI.

when i add it to my oil, with good success might i add in cleaning off varnish, i do so about 50 miles before an oil change.

i have ran it through the intake on carburated and FI cars with excellent results.

quote:

Originally posted by Blokey:
I pour it slowly with a funnel connected to the port with some Tygon tubing. I pour it so that the engine kinda stumbles a little but doesn't die. I pour in the last couple of mLs quickly to kill the engine and let it soak. I let it sit for about 30 min. before taking the car out for a spin. When I first accelerate, I get the cloud of white smoke (I think some of the SeaFoam pools up in the intake tract and gets sucked in at once). I drive for a couple of miles to completely purge all the residual SeaFoam before I then do my oil change.

That's weird! The first time I put Seafoam (using PCV line), a huge smoke cloud appear. The second time (2 months later), no cloud at all!
I missed those clouds!

BlazerLT

Did anyone mention putting SeaFoam in the trans??
dunno.gif

You lost me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back