SDS+ to Max adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
I get it that SDS Max is designed for more torque... But of I have access to a free 1 1/8 SDS+ rotary hammer, and want to drill a 2" core into soft (brick) material...

Is there an adapter that lets me upsize an SDS+ female on a rotary hammer to SDS Max?

I understand the potential downsides. But there are upsides in terms of being able to freely access a tool.

So is there an adapter that is SDS+ male to SDS Max female to accept a Max bit?

Thanks!

I've wondered about this myself.

I'm a bit confused though with '1-1/8 SDS+ rotary hammer'? Do you have a 1-1/8" core bit AND free access to an SDS+ rotary hammer?

Is the 2" core bit SDS-MAX only (not avail in SDS+)?

Can you drill the 2" dia circumference with a smaller bit, like 1/4", then break out the core?

The 1 1/8" is the spec of the rotary hammer. Just like if you had a 1/2" drill.

The core bits (hole saws for stone) have lots of diameters, but it seems that they are usually SDS Max, not plus, probably because of the torque requirements.

So the intent would be a male SDS+ shaft to connect to the unit, then a female SDS Max chuck in the end to take those (big) bits and core saws.

Update: HD seems to only have SDS Max core hole saws, but it appears that bosch makes SDS + hole saws up to at least 4 7/8 diameter with an SDS + shaft... So that may answer that anyway...

Still, the question remains.

Originally Posted By: Dan55
No adapter that I can see. Looks like you may have to buy this 3 piece set http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-T3914SC-Sds-...s+plus+core+bit Renting might be cheaper

The rental of an SDS Max rotary hammer from Home Depot is about $67.

The core hole bets rent for about $10, but they only have shafts for the max size.

I can borrow an SDS plus rotary hammer for as long as I want for free.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I get it that SDS Max is designed for more torque... But of I have access to a free 1 1/8 SDS+ rotary hammer, and want to drill a 2" core into soft (brick) material...

Is there an adapter that lets me upsize an SDS+ female on a rotary hammer to SDS Max?

I understand the potential downsides. But there are upsides in terms of being able to freely access a tool.

So is there an adapter that is SDS+ male to SDS Max female to accept a Max bit?

Thanks!

I think this might be what you're looking for: Grainger

Originally Posted By: Stelth

I think this might be what you're looking for: Grainger

Actually, that's the shaft. There is a dual female SDS Max coupler, but every vendor wants $200+ for them. That's too much, I wont save any $$.

Bummer. The point was to be able to couple to SDS max so that I could rent $10 HD bits without renting their $67 hammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back