screwdrivers and torque

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which do you most often get a good solid grip on? Two inches? or six inches?
grin2.gif

Bob

let's assume for arguements sake that the handles are of the same length and diameter

try the "test" and you'll see what i mean

Could it be related to the angle of attack?

I mean, when using handtools, the likelyhood that your hand and arm are holding the screwdriver exactly parallel to the screw is low.

If you have a longer screwdriver, you have more leverage, given the same angle of attack when using the short screwdriver.

i vaguely remember something from stress analysis and mechanics that the angle of twist associated with a torque related to the length of the associated piece being twisted.

so a longer screw driver would have a larger angle of twist if the material were allowed to twist compared to a shorter screw driver, assuming the same material properties in both.

however, i also remember that if one end is fixed, and the other end is free to rotate (as in the case of a screwdriver), the minimum torque (0) is at the fixed end (handle) and the maximum torque is at the end free to rotate.

this all applies to a bar that twists though... not sure how that translates to a bar that doesn't twist.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Could it be related to the angle of attack?

I mean, when using handtools, the likelyhood that your hand and arm are holding the screwdriver exactly parallel to the screw is low.

If you have a longer screwdriver, you have more leverage, given the same angle of attack when using the short screwdriver.

I agree with everything but the last with everything but the last statement. it would be the same leverage if the handles are the same diameter.
You can "wiggle" back and forth more with a longer screwdriver and still be lined up better on the fastener.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back