screw drive garage door opener

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those who have screw drive door openers, what is your favorite lube for the screw and also for the tracks? Thanks!

I use the mobil 1 red grease right out of my grease gun. I spray the door roller axles with lithium spray grease. I think genie had some sort of lubriplate grease, but the red m1 grease works fine on mine.

Last edited:
I hope you come up with something good that also quiets the opener down... and then let us know.

I'll tell the neighbors across the street about it. I can hear their screw drive opener when it kicks on.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
I hope you come up with something good that also quiets the opener down... and then let us know.

I'll tell the neighbors across the street about it. I can hear their screw drive opener when it kicks on.

Mine is loud, not much you can do about it. IT is quieter when greased though but still loud.

From a Genie screw drive opener manual...
"Lubricate door rollers, bearings and hinges: Use silicone lubricant or lightweight oil.
Lubricate the drive screw: Wipe off old grease using a lint-free cloth. Apply a light coating of silicon based grease. For best results, use Genie® GLU-R."
http://www.geniecompany.com/data/products/dealer/trilog-1500-install_new.pdf

You can't go wrong using a bicycle chain lube for the chain. Personally, my choice is simple: For uncomplicated lubrication needs such as this, I'll use the best, most appropriate lube I can find, regardless of cost or difficulty obtaining it....so long as it's whatever I happen to have in my garage that day. And that would mean grease -- whatever I've got -- for the screw, and random motor oil for the chain and door hinges. I'm a cheap b*staldo! I have a foolproof method of determining the correct lube for a task....If it's in my garage, and therefore "free," by definition it's the right lube.

Yeah our screw drive opener is ridiculously loud. My grandfather has a chain drive one that is really quiet, and its like 20 years old or more.

I use the same NGLI#2 grease on the garage door tracks and internal sprockets that I would use on a wheel bearing. On a chain, any light lube works fine. If you have bicycle chain lube, that works great.

It's tough to get inside parts with grease.
Unless you take things apart and squooge it in, it is almost always better to use a spray lube.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Ditto for chain drive openers, please!

I use the same stuff on my mountain bike as I do on my garage door opener. Some sort of synthetic stuff that resists dirt(aleit not needed on opener).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back