Scientists just broke the record for the coldest temperature ever recorded in a lab

You need to actually *read* those articles (and understand them...).

Photons don't liquify.
I never said they did, nor did they say they do in the article. They call it "liquid light" ... doesn't mean the photons are actually liquid.

It does have properties of zero friction and zero viscosity, so still good for near absolute zero temperature use in engines. 😄

Is absolute zero even capable of being produced? Kind of like the speed of light, so far the ultimate speed limit.
It is a limit that can infinitely be approached but, as of our current understanding of physics, cannot actually be reached.

I'm not sure it's a fair analogy, but I'm guessing reaching absolute zero may be as likely as reaching the speed of light.
Somewhat. With speed the problem is that with any massive particle as you increase velocity more and more of the energy goes to increasing mass rather than to increasing velocity. It gets to the point where no matter how much energy you add you can never add enough. It would take infinite energy for a massive particle to reach the speed of light.

With absolute zero the definition is to cease all motion. But this can never happen with a particle since it is impossible to conclusively determine both position and velocity due to quantum fluctuations. Similar to the speed of light problem it would likewise take an infinite amount of energy to reach absolute zero, but even then due to quantum fluctuations the particles would still have motion.

It doesn't seem or sound like going from -196C to -246C, (liquid N2 to liquid H2 temps) would be that big of a deal. I wish I could show you pics w/out the potential of getting fired of the size, scope and energy consumption of the equipment it takes to do so. I couldn't imagine what it would take to get down another -25C.

We are still trying to figure out what already has existed since the beginning. If time can be described as change of state, maybe absolute zero is where time stops. The beginning is where time started, of course by the definition of the word. So we can’t achieve absolute zero or find absolute zero because time is stopped?
To me it’s interesting an ancient text starts with in the beginning and let there be light. Way before anyone knew anything about degrees Kelvin, speed of light, etc. They didn’t even have cars back then.
Not sure what I wanted to say on the topic, but I said it.

We are still trying to figure out what already has existed since the beginning. If time can be described as change of state, maybe absolute zero is where time stops. The beginning is where time started, of course by the definition of the word. So we can’t achieve absolute zero or find absolute zero because time is stopped?
To me it’s interesting an ancient text starts with in the beginning and let there be light. Way before anyone knew anything about degrees Kelvin, speed of light, etc. They didn’t even have cars back then.
Not sure what I wanted to say on the topic, but I said it.
I think most ancient civilization concludes that entropy only goes one way so there has to be something to inject the initial energy to kickstart the whole downflow. It seems to be common among all stories of how the world begin. Most civilizations also realize heat and light are the foundation of energy and correlates (because of the sun we can feel and see).

Yes because all
I think most ancient civilization concludes that entropy only goes one way so there has to be something to inject the initial energy to kickstart the whole downflow. It seems to be common among all stories of how the world begin. Most civilizations also realize heat and light are the foundation of energy and correlates (because of the sun we can feel and see).
Yes, humans come from one group. The creation theories should be similar? The sun and sunshine are easy to see. Who thinks of light being created? Not sure about that leap of knowledge. Maybe it’s time injected. Kick start means time start. It’s hard for us to comprehend because we are just creatures made for the environment. Eat, have fun, and die. Everything is on the clock. We can’t really understand no clock I don’t think.

How does that whole thing relate to absolute zero? I’m so confused.
You are fine. It’s good to be confused, it means you don’t know everything. His post can be read again. I guess they are getting close to absolute zero, but not close enough.

Interesting topic, more from a philosophical point as there is no absolute zero observed.
What I said before is not a complex experiment. If absolute zero is when all motion or change stops, and time also can be defined as when change of state stops, they both happen when absolute zero is achieved. If the definitions are correct.
As a guess it may be like poof, everything disappears into nothingness at absolute zero, and poof it can be started up again, with time and activity once again starting. Like a Big Bang.

Would time also stop, in the area of absolute zero? And what about a vessel of something at absolute zero, moving at the speed of light? Would relativity apply there? Not possible I know, but as a point of discussion.

Would time also stop, in the area of absolute zero? And what about a vessel of something at absolute zero, moving at the speed of light? Would relativity apply there? Not possible I know, but as a point of discussion.
I don’t know of course. If all energy that makes up matter, whatever that is, stops, then it disappears it seems to me. It isn’t just freezing, all sub atomic activity stops. At that exact point, time as we know it stops too. No changes of state. Nothing exists anymore like in the physical world we are in. I don’t think there is a vessel, light, or anything else existing. Unexplainable, as there can’t be a way to ever experience the exact point of absolute zero. Just seems like it would be like that. If anything exists, the atomic makeup is not dead, is it? So there is motion or something changing.

Back