Schumacher SC1304: Any good?

Short and sweet: would this unit be acceptable to leave hooked up to the battery in my Reatta all winter? The garage is insulated, but not heated.

I read the manual, however it's very vague on the "maintain" function. I just ran out and hooked the unit up, it showed 12.7v 84% SOC before charging. I set it to the 15A automatic level and put my meter across the leads, it showed ~15.7v. Unfortunately, I don't have an amp clamp at the moment to take current readings.

Taking the battery out completely and bringing it in the house is always an option, as well.

It does say it's an automatic maintainer. I use a $20 ever start 3a trickle charger and maintainer from Walmart. Hasn't failed me yet. If it's at a low soc it can be slowly charged. Doesn't hurt it.

I’ve had 3 of the Schumacher SC1355 1.5 amp maintainers which have been perfect for over 20 years. My motorcycle has been on one continuously for years. Another one is on my wife’s Pontiac Solstice that’s rarely driven and both keep the batteries at full charge year round.
if you are using it as a maintainer, no need for 15A.
^ This.

I use BatteryMinder temperature compensated units for storage maintenance. Have 8 in play on vehicle, MC, snowmobiles, mower and ATV. Some in -30f temps. Get 10+ years on snowmobile batteries and the motorcycles routinely. Only change them out for being old (10 yrs) all with the quick disconnects for unplug and play.

I would be inclined to use the 3amp mode for maintaining. Based on the sale literature online, that is the mode they promote for the maintainer function.

RAPID CHARGING: A 15A rapid charge mode quickly charges car, truck, and other large batteries
  • 3A CHARGE/MAINTAIN RATE: The 3A mode lets you charge motorcycles, lawn tractors, and other small batteries and maintains larger batteries in peak condition

I'd get a 30$ battery tender from costco.
image_2023-08-07_213600949.jpg

I have several battery maintainers (e.g., NOCO, Battery Tender, Battery Minder, Schumacher, Harbor Freight) that I use with my motorcycles and vehicles. All of them will eventually boil out some of the electrolyte in the smaller batteries except for this Schumacher SC1300 which I have permanently installed in my garage queen Xterra (go read the 4.6 star ratings):

1691497461587.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I reached out to Schumacher to see if I could get more information RE: the charging profile of the unit. I agree with everyone here that 15A would be far too much to maintain a battery, however I think the literature is misleading when it comes to the 3A vs. 15A setting. I believe all that setting does is change the maximum current the unit MAY deliver during charging.

My Reatta, being a '91, has very little parasitic draw when the car is off. Combined with a massive group 78 battery, long-term storage shouldn't really be a problem. The battery is brand new, and I'd like to keep it in good shape for as long as possible.

This is what I would suggest... very high quality, trustworthy, versatile units with built in temperature compensation. In fact for that sale price I may pick up another one 😉
Unfortunately none of the Battery Tender brand or Schumacher offer temperature compensation.
Battery Minder does, as well as a few select others. While both of my Battery Minders have this feature, I have never had issue without it, as my other tenders from Griots, Save a Battery (Battery Saver) and Battery Tender have done a fine job over the years without it.

Last edited:
I have several battery maintainers (e.g., NOCO, Battery Tender, Battery Minder, Schumacher, Harbor Freight) that I use with my motorcycles and vehicles. All of them will eventually boil out some of the electrolyte in the smaller batteries except for this Schumacher SC1300 which I have permanently installed in my garage queen Xterra (go read the 4.6 star ratings):

View attachment 171512
We're getting off topic but my experience as well. You have to use a dedicated lower power maintainer on smaller batteries. I have only had success with 1.5 amp or preferable lower like 800 or 750ma to avoid boiling electrolyte on my motorcycle. My solution was to go to a lithium battery, since regardless, I never got many years out of a flooded motorcycle battery anyway. I think I am at 6+ years now and still going strong.

Unfortunately none of the Battery Tender brand or Schumacher offer temperature compensation.
Battery Minder does, as well as a few select others. While both of my Battery Minders have this feature, I have never had issue without it, as my other tenders from Griots, Save a Battery (Battery Saver) and Battery Tender have done a fine job over the years without it.
I'll have to read the box and instruction manual again, but I read through everything and I could swear it said temp compensation. This is the 4.5 amp lithium/lead acid Battery Tender... it was $59.99 when I picked it up from Costco... $29.99 is a steal 😉

I still like my Noco Genius5 better though... the repair mode has already made a marked improvement in a well abused Duralast Gold that still works fine, but is way closer to the end of it's life than the beginning lol.

It was still holding a good oc voltage in the garage... 12.65, but after one repair mode it's now holding 12.73. And I used multiple other chargers on it (no repair/recond modes though) that didn't change the oc voltage at all.

I think as a maintenance tool, on good working batteries that are just getting older or have been abused, the Noco repair mode is very effective 👍
I also have to say I've been VERY impressed with this old Duralast Gold... it's ancient, it's been through hell, and it's still working better than any battery has a right to 👍👍😉

We're getting off topic but my experience as well. You have to use a dedicated lower power maintainer on smaller batteries. I have only had success with 1.5 amp or preferable lower like 800 or 750ma to avoid boiling electrolyte on my motorcycle. My solution was to go to a lithium battery, since regardless, I never got many years out of a flooded motorcycle battery anyway. I think I am at 6+ years now and still going strong.
Yep from here on out it's going to be lithiums for my bikes as well 😉

You were right, my Battery Tender 4.5 amp from Costco doesn't have temperature compensation.. bummer lol.

You were right, my Battery Tender 4.5 amp from Costco doesn't have temperature compensation.. bummer lol.
I'm sure it works just as well without it. While I have that feature on a couple of my Battery Minders, I have a Griots Garage maintainer and a couple Battery Saver (save a battery) maintainers and they do a fine job without it.

Most of the dual current chargers switch to a lower current maintain mode after they reach 100%. I know my Schumacher SC-1200A-CA does. They don't maintain at the higher current.

If I were going to leave one on a battery for some time, I'd just put it in the lower current mode and let it finish and then go into maintain mode. The higher current is only needed if one is in a hurry to charge up a depleted battery.

As for the voltage, these newer chargers typically use some sort of pulse mode with a really funky voltage pattern. It's constantly changing the charger voltage and then monitoring the battery voltage - until it considers the battery full.

Back