Schaeffer's #267 or #741???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I have an '03 Dodge/Cummins, 3500 with American Axles. Dodge says to use Synthetic 75W-90. I read, here, that "Molakule" thought very highly of the Schaeffer # 267 calling it one of the most "robust" gear oils. The problem is that, I believe, it only comes in 80W-90 and I think it is a synthetic/blend.
Schaeffer # 741 is a 75W-90 and appears to be fully synthetic.
Is the #741 as good as the highly thought of #267?
How does it compare with the Red Line products?Your thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.
Joe F.(Buffalo)

The #741 was purchased mainly for Schaeffer's Eaton Customers and is a full synthetic.

The #267 is a Blend.

Specialty Formulations HDS-5 is a full synthetic and can be purchased in 75W90 or 75W140.

I cannot compare for you because I haven't used Schaeffer products for many, many years. I do use RedLine gear oils in all my vehicles and recommend them highly. Their gear oils (unlike their motor oils) are very price-competitive with other synthetics in my area, and are absolutely excellent products.

Personally, I would use a full-synthetic in that application no matter what brand. Dodge specs a full synthetic and I wouldn't use anything "less."

I used Schaeffer's #267 in the front axles of my 2002 F-150 and 2002 Explorer because it had to be better than the factory fluid. The Explorer had dino 80W-90 but my F-150 had dino 75W-90. So I just put in the Schaeffer's #267 in both. Because I didn't want to purchase a 5 gallon pail of their 75W-90 synthetic. So far the 80W-90 has had no problems this winter in the F-150. This was unfortunately before I knew MolaKule was starting Specialty Formulations
frown.gif
. I have since purchased his HDS-5 75W-90 for the rear diffs in both vehicles. I was lucky this past weekend and installed it in my F-150. It's quiet and runs as smooth as silk in the diff and is a fully true synthetic. Plus it's available in gallon and quart sizes! Price wise it very competitive to other brands. Plus you'll get a personal level of service from MolaKule that no other lubrication company will or can offer
wink.gif
. I also purchased some of MolaKule's SynchroGlide manual tranny fluid and in all honesty in the 70 or so miles it's been really far superior to other manual tranny fluids I tried. MolaKule and his company, Specialty Formulations, really seem to know what works best and how to provide it for a competive price
grin.gif

Whimsey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back