Schaeffer Oil not MS-A0921 spec'd

I am very bummed about this and Schaeffer Oil's decision to not move forward with pursuing this spec for my 2022 Ram 6.4.

I called and emailed and received a flat "No" on the phone with a company tech adviser that they were not currently going after that cert. with their Supreme 9000 0w40. The email correspondence was a bit more encouraging, but blamed COVID as the reason for lack of 3rd party testing and any movement on any certifications without calling out this one in particular and with no acknowledgment that MS-A0921 will be there in the future.

Using Pennzoil UP goes against my MOLY upbringing, but having a warranty on a "Fiat" is worth more.

Talk me off a ledge.

Well it recommends it in black and white for the 2022. 2021 was the older MS-12633. It seems that Pennzoil has the exclusive on this so far.

Will they void it? Dunno. Would they look when the Hemi eats a lobe off the cam due to their inherent nature of under lubing the roller lifters? Also dunno.

Can you post the language from the manual? That would be the first time I've ever seen that in a manual, there was a long thread here a while back and at the time no one's manual said that. I'd be interested in what you have.

Doesn't it say this?

We recommend using Mopar® API Certified SAE 0W-40 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-A0921. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-40 engine oil can be used but must have the API Donut trademark

1644415277245.jpg

So it is only recommended and not required. You're more constrained by the API Donut than you are by that material specification. Does the Schaeffer product have an API Donut on the back?

You could also use Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 from Walmart just as well.

Will they void it? Dunno. Would they look when the Hemi eats a lobe off the cam due to their inherent nature of under lubing the roller lifters? Also dunno.
Only if the oil was the cause of the failure and that won’t be the case. That sounds like a material or design defect in the engine.

A "lack of consideration" in the design. If a Hemi sits for long periods and does not get a chance to rev high enough for splash lubrication on the roller lifters and cam lobes, you will see lobe wear beginning. At some point the needle bearings in the lifter will fail and wipe a lobe. Happened on my 6.1 SRT after 140k mile, but only because I took it out of daily service and it would sit and be ran once a month for a pretty day grocery run. Otherwise I got a lot of fun miles out of it and a "clean as a whistle" engine when torn down from Schaeffer usage immediately on break-in oil change.

I want the same, but also fear a warranty denial if I get an extended because large corporations tend to do that.

If you're worried about having an issue, and not having warranty coverage then use an approved oil.

I want the same, but also fear a warranty denial if I get an extended because large corporations tend to do that.
Usually the manual states that "use of any other oil may cause damage" etc. and this one explicitly allows the use of another oil of the same grade. In fact it permits the use of any other oil of that grade.

You're free to be fearful of the warranty but I gotta say that manual text is about as loose as any I've ever seen in that regard.

@JoelB ... I agree. So is approved = "recommended" or is approved = "must have the donut"?
There are no approvals anywhere in any of that text. Having the API Donut is assuring that whatever oil is being used has an API license at the minimum. That is their base requirement to assure at least a scintilla of quality. The truth is though that pretty much any 0W-40 oil on the market is going to have manufacturer approvals and an ACEA sequence that assures high performance way beyond whatever MS-A0921 might specify. I don't know about Schaeffer products specifically, but if you walk into Walmart and walk out with a 0W-40 you'll have an oil that does.

I think Kschachn is right in the fact that the manual is pretty loosey goosey on wording. My point is, if you're worried about it then use an oil with the approval stated in the manual and cover all your bases. Will it matter long term? Pretty unlikely. An oil with that spec isn't better than another API rated oil without it.

If a Hemi sits for long periods and does not get a chance to rev high enough for splash lubrication on the roller lifters and cam lobes, you will see lobe wear beginning.

I’m not familiar with this motor but do the roller lifters and cams depend upon splash lubrication?

So it is only recommended and not required. You're more constrained by the API Donut than you are by that material specification. Does the Schaeffer product have an API Donut on the back?

You could also use Castrol or Mobil 1 0W-40 from Walmart just as well.
Yes Schaeffer Oil 0w40 has the donut.

I’m not familiar with this motor but do the roller lifters and cams depend upon splash lubrication?
It would seem so. depending on how many grains of salt you have near you, there are a few U-tube videos on the subject. Uncle Tony could be a hack, or disguised as one, but the logic seems sound. I have experienced it firsthand as well.

As a Schaeffer fanboy, I just felt a little annoyed at the company's responses. There are many other oil makers that also do not meet the recommended spec., but this was "my" manufacturer and it stung a little. Plus I have a little over 6 gallons of the stuff in the shop I was hoping to use. Still might.

Last edited:
Back