Scan tool that will turn of AFM 2016 GMC 5.3

HP Tuners will & includes a decent powertrian Scan Tool, Requires a laptop PC.

The scan tool PID's will need to be configured, But it doesn't sound like you're going to do any real diagnostics being a '16 & all?

The Vehicle Interface costs $300 & 2 Credits to license the ECM costs $100. IF you have a 8L90E......The TCM has to be sent to HP Tuners to be physically unlocked.....Then you can purchase credits (4) to license it.
You don't need to unlock & license the TCM if all you're doing is turning the AFM off.

You need a bi-directional scan tool to be able to command the vehicles various systems. Auto Enginuity sells one that needs a PC or smartphone. Auto Enginuity sells the base and manufacturer specific. You would need both. If you had a Ford then Forscan is a great scan tool. I have both.

My brother has a 2015 gmc with the 5.3. At around 70k he started it one morning and heard a very bad lifter tick. He shut it off immediately and called a wrecker. They towed it to the dealer and replaced all AFM lifters on the passenger side. He bought it certified pre owned so gm covered it under warranty. I’m at 100k now. No more warranty just want to turn it off.

Maybe just check out the Range AFM disabler. Plugs into your obd connector. I have one on my 2019
Silverado and it disables DFM and auto shutoff. Works great and also works on AFM.

Maybe just check out the Range AFM disabler. Plugs into your obd connector. I have one on my 2019
Silverado and it disables DFM and auto shutoff. Works great and also works on AFM.
Do you leave it plugged in all the time?? Seems I read some where that the range would drain the battery??

Are you experiencing a specific problem? The AFM systems were greatly improved in 2014. Don’t be concerned the pre-2014 experiences. It was a different system.
I haven’t had a problem but my brothers 2015 5.3 gmc has. Needed afm lifter on passenger side replaced at 70k

Do you leave it plugged in all the time?? Seems I read some where that the range would drain the battery??
I leave it plugged in all the time. Never had an issue with battery drain and I only drive it on weekends. I've let it sit for 2 weeks without drain. It's not lit when the vehicle is not running and there does not seem to be any draw. Mine is a 19 with DFM but I also had the previous version which was AFM only on a 2018 and it worked flawless with no draw. If you buy factory direct they give you a 30 day no ask return policy if your not happy. I will admit I get a couple tenths less mileage but I love it running on all 8 all the time especially with performance exhaust. I have no association with range but think they are awesome.

AFM is primarily a fuel savings added feature, not a pure emissions device that cannot be legally removed like a cat. AFM is only turned on in some cruising, low load situations. GM made LS V8's with and without AFM that both had no issues meeting goverment mandated emissions standards.

AFM is primarily a fuel savings added feature, not a pure emissions device that cannot be legally removed like a cat. AFM is only turned on in some cruising, low load situations. GM made LS V8's with and without AFM that both had no issues meeting goverment mandated emissions standards.
This is a grey area. Any powertrain feature that the vehicle was equipped with is not something that a scan tool can permanently disable, unless it was an aftermarket tune.

I see the range or diablo tune recommened in GM groups all the time. Lot of resale when the vehicles get sold so you can get one used cheap.

Agreed. It seems they will do anything for more mpg’s. The side effect to me is when the warranty is out it becomes a possibility of an expensive repair for me. Yet the money I “saved in fuel savings” would never offset the cost of the repair.

Back