scan tool shows 2 codes, but CEL light not on

So l purchased one of those scan tools as an impulse buy. Plugged it in and paired it to my cell phone.

Codes PA102 and PO113 were returned. The check engine light is not on though. My car is a '15 Subaru and these codes are somewhat common based on my internet search.

I had to disconnect the air filter assembly last month to replace a front bulb. Maybe l didn't reconnect it properly. I will check that.

Is it common to get codes with these scan tools without the CEL being on?

Could be a 'pending' Code.
Give it time and the CEL will come on.

Or could it be an 'old' Code that still shows up ? As in never erased after an earlier repair.

Either way, since you now own the Reader, find out how to erase the codes and start over by checking once a Week.

I use my Code Reader just before my Yearly 'Summer' Inspection to give me time for fixing myself.
Also just before Winter.

Probably pending codes. Most scanners tell you it's a pending code.

If it's time for inspection, go tomorrow before the CEL comes on :sneaky:

Thanks for the replies.

A little more background:

The error codes are related to the MAF sensor. I disconnected the MAF sensor last month to move the airbox for access to replace front bulbs.

After putting everything back together, l started the car and the CEL light came on. I noticed that l forgot to reconnect the plug into the MAF sensor. I plugged it in and the CEL light disappeared.

Fast forward to now and l decided to play with my scanner tool and noticed these codes. Could they be related to the issue l described last month?

My next emissions test is in year 2022 so l cleared the errors. Should l just drive around for a few days and see if these codes reappear?

The car seems to be running fine and l haven't noticed any issues that usually occur with a faulty MAF sensor.

Those were stored codes then.

The CEL only comes on while the condition causing the code presently exists. After it has been resolved, the CEL doesn't come on on the next start, but the code remains stored. This is to help find intermittent problems.

It sounds like you are fine. Resetting the codes reset your smog monitors, and if you needed a smog check before you drove it much, the monitors would show "not ready", and it wouldn't pass the check. This is to prevent people from resetting their codes, getting the check engine light to go off, then getting a smog check before the internal checks were complete and the CEL came back on.
Since you don't need a smog check for a while, normal driving should allow the monitors to set within a few hundred miles. If the codes were reset just before you needed a smog check (like if you replaced a battery), doing a "drive cycle" or two will clear the monitors in short order.

Back