Savage 10BA in .338 Lapua

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My buddy loads for the 338 Lapua, and uses Retumbo and a 250 grain SMK bullet. I think it's 96 grains with the 250 gr SMK bullet. The safe range for the Retumbo powder and the 250 SMK bullet is between 90-98 grains. As always check a reloading manual to be safe.

IMO a 200 grain bullet is a tad on the light side for the 338. What twist barrel do you have? His is a 10 twist barrel.

FTR I reload for the 30-338 Lapua.

I just picked up two bottles of Retumbo. The shop was out of the 4831 I was going to get
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
My buddy loads for the 338 Lapua, and uses Retumbo and a 250 grain SMK bullet. I think it's 96 grains with the 250 gr SMK bullet. The safe range for the Retumbo powder and the 250 SMK bullet is between 90-98 grains. As always check a reloading manual to be safe.

IMO a 200 grain bullet is a tad on the light side for the 338. What twist barrel do you have? His is a 10 twist barrel.

FTR I reload for the 30-338 Lapua.

I just picked up two bottles of Retumbo. The shop was out of the 4831 I was going to get
smile.gif

The Retumbo will be just fine!
wink.gif
Let me know the bullet/load combo you end up with.

Sure!

The bullets, 100 were around $40.00
The primers were IIRC around $5.00 for 100
Powder (which I haven't re-purchased yet) is around $35.00.

So I guess that puts me at $80.00 rather than $75.00.

I have plenty of brass on-hand but that will eventually be a cost in the future.

Thanks,
factor in brass depreciation, that would make it around $100 for 100 rounds, wow, that is comparable to shooting federal match... or 2x shooting cmp garand ammo.

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Sure!

I have plenty of brass on-hand but that will eventually be a cost in the future.

Thanks,
factor in brass depreciation, that would make it around $100 for 100 rounds, wow, that is comparable to shooting federal match... or 2x shooting cmp garand ammo.

Yepper! Or less than 1/3rd the cost of buying the cheapest .338LM ammo I can buy right now, which is the Sellier and Bellot JHP "match" ammo (which uses Lapua brass BTW).

Originally Posted By: stockrex
Sure!

Thanks,

Yepper! Or less than 1/3rd the cost of buying the cheapest .338LM ammo I can buy right now, which is the Sellier and Bellot JHP "match" ammo (which uses Lapua brass BTW).

no way, lapua brass!!!
hey overkill, are the brass stamped lapua?
do ya mind post a pic of the ammo box and a shell pls.
I just bought 2 boxes of sellier and bellot online, no sure if they are the jhp , desc was 250 g bthp, Thanks,

Nope, the brass isn't stamped. My understanding of it (from reading a few sources) is that there are only two sources of Lapua brass:

1. Lapua
2. Hornady

Some guns have feed issues with the Hornady brass but they don't with the Lapua brass, as it is apparently a bit thicker.

Here are a few pics:

338LMBrass01.jpg

338LMBrass02.jpg

Looks identical to mine, so yup, should be Lapua brass. Obviously the cartridges themselves are made by Sellier and Bellot though.

Apparently it is the Hornady brass that is problematic, or at least can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back